• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very strange issue with RTX 4060 for laptops (data from GPU-Z)

Diwgfrtx

I use a laptop Asus ROG Strix G17 (G713PV) with AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX and GeForce RTX 4060 for laptops. Sometimes (once every 3 days) a blue screen pops up with the error VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. It does NOT depend on the load, it can appear even if you do nothing. It is written in the dumps that the error is only related to nvlddmkm.sys. The dump also has the following: DirectX.Fatal Error.Desc: UNEXPECTED_DEFERRED_DESTRUCTION.

Reinstalling various drivers does not help, including a clean reinstalling, /scannow on the command line does not help. I also checked RAM memory and everything is fine. MyASUS says that there are no errors, although it is clear that this is not the case, because the BSoD appears.

Also I've noticed a strange thing. In GPU-Z, some values rise very much (idle time). GPU Voltage drops when some values tend to go up. The idle temperature ranges from 45 to 52 degrees. It does not depend on the drivers, because I tried different ones and there were similar situations.

I attach screenshots from GPU-Z. The first two screenshots show the GPU in idle mode. The third screen shows «the highest point». The last two screenshots show the GPU in action (simple actions in Blender and simple rendering)

Can anyone tell me what is the reason for this behavior of the graphics card? Is it a hardware issue and what is it exactly?

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_131949.jpg
    IMG_20240203_131949.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20240203_131905.jpg
    IMG_20240203_131905.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20240202_173943.png
    IMG_20240202_173943.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 61
  • SAVE_20240202_181841.jpg
    SAVE_20240202_181841.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 59
  • SAVE_20240202_181837.jpg
    SAVE_20240202_181837.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

vaio-vm

Two years ago, I had a similar issue as well, but with my old Lenovo AIO. It crashed about twice a week. I even had a crash when I was trying to log in. I looked the BSoD dump data and found out that it was caused by nvlddmkm.sys, the same file. I was using VirtualBox regularly. Then, I recalled that this issue never happened before I set up VirtualBox. So, I switched to VMware and it never happened again. So, if you use VirtualBox, it might be a good idea to reinstall, at least that's what solved mine.

Diwgfrtx

Two years ago, I had a similar issue as well, but with my old Lenovo AIO. It crashed about twice a week. I even had a crash when I was trying to log in. I looked the BSoD dump data and found out that it was caused by nvlddmkm.sys, the same file. I was using VirtualBox regularly. Then, I recalled that this issue never happened before I set up VirtualBox. So, I switched to VMware and it never happened again. So, if you use VirtualBox, it might be a good idea to reinstall, at least that's what solved mine.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I don't have VirtualBox. This issue with my GPU (Clock and Watt/Voltage "jumps") appeared immediately after buying a laptop (1.5 months ago), although I did not pay attention to clock behavior in Armoury Crate before I saw the BSoD and decided to use GPU-Z

vaio-vm

It may be a hardware issue then, especially considering you’ve done a clean install. It may be caused by a random application as well. So, are there any apps that you had before wiping Windows and immediately installed after that you suspect to be the culprit? You might’ve noticed that I tend to have more software-based opinions, because I know how frustrating it is to have an issue with a brand new PC, especially on a laptop that you can’t easily just swap its faulty part out.