1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very strange sound :(

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dj_dn, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i've bought a brand new 8800gt yesterday and since i've installed it, it has a very strange sound coming from the card every time i either bench or game with it. The higher i clock the card (mem and core dosn't mater) the sound become more apparent. It sounds like a smoke detector (not as loud). All my other specs are in my profile.:banghead:

PS edit : Its not my fans, i've even tried sticking my finger on the one in the card and the sound keeps on going :(
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    maybe the fan on the v card fan is catching ?. be carefukk but slow or stop the fan on it see if it stops or sound changes.
  3. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried that and it dosnt work :( Well i mean the sound dosn't go away.
  4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    chokes?
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bad card, RMA it. The noise you are hearing is a bad capacitor, electrical current jumping, or something else...
    dj_dn says thanks.
  6. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry can you elaborate a bit more. I'm not certain were you're going at.:confused:
  7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    do what erocker says dont hassel the hoff ...
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    that cards goin home
  9. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    K thx all, Just making certain it wasnt anything else.

Ill let you know once i changed it.
  10. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i changed the videocard, got an older version (green pcb), and changed my power supply to a pc power & cooling 610watt. But the sound is still there. I can only hear it when I'm stressing the videocard :( There's no strange sound when stressing anything else.

Just as a reminder it sounds like a smoke alarm ( not loud but still noticeable ) and when its under mild pressure it sounds like, i cant find words for this one, police siren effect, it goes up in volume and back down. But when theres no pressure theres no sound.

Ps, What difference is there between the green pcb(old) and the new(black) one, other then the 25 MHz core boost.

:respect::cry:

Edit: I've been doing a little research on the subject and my only option left would maybe be the northbridge overheating because my x800 was using the southbridge on the mobo but the 8800 is using the northbridge ( am i right ). I'm starting to loose hope.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  11. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tsk,tsk erocker...
    You just advised the OP to RMA (which he did) a perfetly functional video card that has nothing wrong with it what-so-ever.

dj_dn,
    Northbridge or Southbridge has nothing to do with this "issue".
    The sound is caused vGPU inductors (aka. coils or chokes) like [I.R.A]_FBi said rather than by a bad capacitor. "Choke ringing" is typical for nVIDIA 8800-serie cards, it's nothing to be worried of. Unfortunately almost all 8800s do it.

As it appears you were given an inferior card (lower clocked) as a replacement. If I were you I would try get my original card swapped back.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
    dj_dn says thanks.
  12. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    When i installed my Inno3D 8800GT 512MB card and forgot to connect the 6pin powercord to it it make a sound like a firealarm but then with 6pin cord connected everything was fine..
  13. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's actually benching and gaming on the card so it's definitely not an issue with the 6pin plug.
    :)

These are the buggers that scream under 3D load:
    [​IMG]
    dj_dn says thanks.
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my GTX squeals if the FPS goes over 100. If thats yoru case, higher settings or Vsync is a reliable cure for mine.
  15. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I remember when my X1900Pro made that constant chime sound. I just stuck some small mosfet coolers on the VRM's and placed a 80mm fan back there and the sound almost went away(still chimed under heavy load but not as apparent). How is your cooling in your case?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all for you're help. I got my old card back ( perks of working where I bought it from). The card works great, I like the fan on it way better then the old one (cooler operating temps) but the sound I was explaining is worst with this one. Cant win am all i guess.:laugh:

I'll ask it here first, does any one know how to remove the heatsink on the northbrige of my Motherboard
    [​IMG]
    Because I sort of twisted it a bit so if its thermal grease ill have to reapply some and it tends to get very hot.:ohwell:
  17. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    pop the black pins and the screaming is lack of power afaik. it means underload it doesnt have the juice it needs
  18. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry should have been more precise, i just want to know if i need to remove the motherboard from the case:cry:. I finished my cable management today :(

And i doubt the sound is from lack of power, this psu has 49 amps on one rail.:eek:
  19. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes you gotta take the mobo out.
    dj_dn says thanks.
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ^ candle is correct on the removal of the mobo heatsink requiring it out of the case.

His comment on the squealing is related to the components itself, and nothing to do with power. Its difficult (easier out of the case) but if you can figure out which chip it is, sticking a heatsink (ramsink) on it can help - not so much the cooling, but because it blocks some of the sound :)
  21. dj_dn New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the others are right about the chokes, and it does sound right about there, i wouldn't be able to add a heatsink because its under the original cooler.

Oh and btw do you guys think i need to reapply thermal paste on it, cause i don't even know what they used on it in the first place.
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    NEED to - no

WANT to - maybe. Cooling it better could make the fan spin slower, therefore quieter.
    dj_dn says thanks.