1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very strange X800 problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Pinchy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card is an AGP X800XL. I got it from an RMA of my X800 PRO (so it was meant to be new).

Now, I recently sold it on eBay. The guy that got it has just emailed me and he seems to be having problems. We both agreed that it would be too costly to send the card up and down, so we are trying to get it to work.

Now, he said the problem is that it intermittently works on one motherboard, worked fine on a motherboard for around 1 hour (then after the reboot stopped again) and would not work on 2 other board at all.

When it doesnt work, there is no video signal that is displayed at all; nothing comes up on screen. Yet, when it does work, there are not problems at all.

He has tried a whole range of different things (motherboards/memory/power supplies from 400-600W), and has tried it on a system that works fine with an X850XT PE.

Another thing he said was that when he didnt plug in the power molex, he gets the usual "please insert power molex" error on the screen, or the usual beeping from the motherboard. This occurs on ALL the boards; so they all pick up the card when he doesnt have the power in.

Any ideas?

The help is really really appreciated!

2. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only one single problem I've had with my video card is when I took my video card out to replace my new motherboard, I've put it back in with the new board and when I pressed the power on, the computer started but no monitor showed up. I found out the reason to this. I didn't fully push down on the video card into it's slot so I took it out then re-inserted it then gave it some force then I heard a little tap noise (I presume then it's in place) then I started up and monitor showed up. I thought my video card ****ed up. Haha.

Pinchy says thanks.
  3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the fast response. I actually already asked him that, and he told me he ensured it was seated properly (I cant guarentee it, but I'll have to take his work for it).

But, if he did test it in four boards, he would have had to have put it in properly at least once :p...(id think).

4. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check to see if the cables are properly inserted at the monitor too.

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats the strange thing though. If it worked intermittently, you would think everything was plugged in fine (for the times it actually does work properly), or it wouldnt work at all. Thats my thoughts anyway...but, with computers, you never know. (Although I doubt it, I'll make him re-seat/plug in everything again, just incase).

Do you guys reckon a part of the card is dead though? I dont know how it would be, if it worked perfecty fine for over an hour, but I cant be sure, and thats why im here :D.

6. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alternatively, the card COULD be dead. Let's hope not.

7. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried different monitors?

8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got a response from him.

He is SURE that the card went in properly, and has tested a variety of monitors.

Still, same problem :(

9. Uber_n00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just assuming he's using current drivers, has he tried an older ATI driver version?

10. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont think drivers are the issue, because the card fails to pass POST half the time (even tho it leaves no beep code :confused:)

11. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    do the boards have on board video if then yell him try disabling it and see if that works

12. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a pretty good idea. Will tell him tonight.

13. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to have an X1800xt that did something similar. Sometimes on bootup it just wouldn't show anything and it'd stop the entire system from posting. Cycling the power on-off would usually fix it.

I think it turned out to be some damaged voltage regulators on the card or something, and i manage to RMA it.

I'm not sure if this applies to the x800 cards, but mine had two very small LED's mounted close to the external power connector, one of them turns on if you forget to insert the extra power lead, the other turns red if something power related is wrong, that's what tipped me off about mine. Might be worth looking...

14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Does the card require external power?

Not like I myself am one to talk, but if so maybe the psu he is using isn't up to snuff for it.