1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VERY URGENT problem with Ati+Vista x86, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CH@NO, Jun 11, 2009.

1. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I dunno why but I CANT install the drivers in Vista x86 of my HD 4850 (Sapphire Dual Slot).

Clean installation of Vista, then I install the latest 9.5 drivers (tried 9.4 too), the installation occurs with zero probs, but after the restart my lcd goes into "sleep mode" (right before entering to the OS), the system seems to still function but the monitor goes black, also the OS boot up normally under safe mode, so It must be the driver.

The card works FINE in XP SP3.

Any ideas why it happens????

THX.

PARTIALLY SOLVED

It seems that this issue is very common and It's related only to the HD4800 series.

For some reason the DVI interface doesn't work with windows Vista (only vista, XP work ok with DVI), using a VGA interface solved the problem to me.

Changing the DVI for VGA in the OS doesn't do anything, plugging it both in the OS and ATi CCC said the cable is plugged correctly, but my monitor says all the contrary.

I really dunno WHY THE HELL ATi launched drivers that have this BIG issue??? (I say drivers 'cause I tried 9.3, 9.4 and 9.5 and all did the same).

Now I'll be stuck with the VGA interface 'till ATi releases a hotfix or hoping It'll be solve in the next release.

I used to think that ATi have a great line of vid cards and drivers...now with this I'm not too sure.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Checked your refresh rate? It sounds as if it's trying to drive your monitor out of it's range. Make sure your resolution and refresh rate are set correctly.
    CH@NO says thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    +1 InnocentCriminal

CH@NO, get the boot menu up (press F8 at the right moment) and select VGA mode. Then go into the Vista monitor control panel and select your monitor's native resolution at 60Hz.
    CH@NO says thanks.
  4. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I already tried entering in VGA mode, but the problem persist, the only way the system enter is in safe mode.

I'm really lost why I can enter just fine in XP and not in vista....

Also I use DVI interface.....If I use the normal VGA one and use AUTO function of my LCD, will it work???

I'll try that, I cannot use XP anymore, I run a cibercafe and plug a LOT of USB drives dialy, so the FUCKING (sorry for the word) viruses are a massive threat, already have a nice antivirus fully updated and I already infected my PC.

Vista in the other hand, i'm not sure if 'cause the UAC feature but the virus didn't enter to the system so easy, have Vista in all of my client PCs and none of them get infected 'till now.
  5. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Did you get your display to work properly?
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I think he did yeah - Cats 9.6 seemed to have fixed his issue.
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. :)
  8. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh im interested in this problem as i have it too but my display works fine most of the time using dvi but sometimes at the login screen in vista it wont show vga is flawless. Booting in safe mode always shows a display so does my bios screen its something to do with the drivers like everyones suggesting strange issue i havent found a proper fix.
  9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's odd. I've had no problems using DVI with my X2 on any driver 9.3 or later.
    My monitor requires D-DVI to run at its optimum resolution.
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have the same thing and would say it was the 4800 series to and some LCD\HDTV's. My 2900XT\7900GT don't do it with this HDTV but my 4890 does BUT on my Samsung 204B don't do it with the 4890.

So it's just some combinations that it does it. Maybe it's due to the time that the LCD\HDTV waits for a signal from the card and if it's not met it goes of for 500ms.

So maybe the 4890 turns of the signal for a little to long for some HDTV's\LCD's. Although it don't happen every time for me.