1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VIA Launches VIA Nano Processor Family

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, May 29, 2008.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've always had bad luck with via chipset motherboards (nearly always driver related) but these low power systems do intruige... 99% of the time, i use my main big rig simply for anime. I'd love to get a media capable PC for ultra low power use, with blu ray capabilities (a standalone player cant do it, as i also have a crapload of avi/MKV files)

I guess my next build, will be a pure media system with native HDMI... hehe. and i will definately be looking at these via's as a base - that chart showed isaiah, is that the nano? or is the nano even faster again (they mention 4x faster in the press release)

2. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    the driver problems in my exp only effect systems that arent using via cpu's, 100% via platforms tend to have no problems like amd/intel via setups did/do

3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I have a lot of experience with VIA chipsets in mini ITX format. Used to build quite a few of them for NAS, mini-server, and productivity workstations.

However, I junked them and replaced them with Intel Dothan, due to the fact that the performance of the dothan was SO MUCH better, and the net total power consumption, incl. HDD, chipset, etc. was not a lot different. With the Dothan you can run any app., dual screens, video, even encode. With the VIA they were really a pain as a sit-and-use-it PC, although fine for NAS, simple server, etc. TBH, the old VIA couldnt really cope with running MS Office. With the Dothans you can photoshop and more.

LOL

I just ran CrystalMark2004R3 on my PC for comparison.

ALU 46,545
    FPU 56,159

I'll run the benchmarks on the Dothan box later, and add them to this post. Unfortunately I cant run them on the old VIA boxes... they've been decommissioned.

If the new VIA nano matches the Dothan, or more, then great. I'd be very interested.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. MrMilli

MrMilli

Thanks Received:
    Can you post CrystalMark2004R3 results so they would be comparable!

5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 30, 2008