1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

vidcard - PSU relations.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by spectre440, Oct 27, 2005.

1. spectre440 New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    948 (0.25/day)
    Thanks Received:
    wooo.... hey all, havent been around a while cause of work, but it's definantly good to check out the site and see all the stuff you people did and talked about during the last coupla months....

anyways, i have another question for you hardware geniuses about the relationship between the powersupply and vid-card.

what would happen if i were to plug into my system (which has a HEC 300 watt PSU) a 6800gt (which requires a 400 watt PSU)? would it work well? would it work *AT ALL*?

or lets take a less extreme case for example... a 6600gt, or an x800, which both require a 350 watt PSU...

the thing is, im absolutly *dying* to replace this old 9600 pro of mine, and now with the new ati cards out the prices on these old gems of cards have dropped.

so....... yeah...... er....... hehehehe

what would happen? would it work well? would it work at all? am i in danger of burning out my card or PSU from overstressing it?
  2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    4,641 (1.21/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Toronto, Canada
  3. bruins004 New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    2,480 (0.67/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Dont play around with wattage like that.
    It could really mess up your system.
    I suggest you get a named brand PSU.