1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

video card cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stroker103, Jun 14, 2006.

1. stroker103 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello There everybody... Not sure how to do this forum thing exactly, because it's the first time I've ever done it, so please forgive me if I make any etiquette faux pas...l'll catch on quickly! Anyway, thought I'd make my first post by saying l've been reading a lot of the forums here, ( I just found this site a few days ago), and I've tried a few things out ..Great Stuff !!!
    I flashed my Video Card BIOS to a X850xt pe and was wondering about upgrading the cooling on it....any suggestions ?? Thnx

2. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
  3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Either that uptop or the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2.

4. Solar804 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I would support the Silencer. I have it myself, only cost $20.00 on NEWEGG, and had it in 2 days with normal shipping. It was a snap to install on my Sapphire X800GTO, and I don't generally go above 60-63 degrees on full load of BF2, Fear, Half-Life2. It's been working solid for a month so far.

5. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    iv got the HIS stock cooling i dunno if you can buy it but i never go hotter then 53 on high load.

6. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    um the HIS stock cooler is a sliencer idiot...

7. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    :nutkick:

8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It is but only if you have an ICEQ.

9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    You COULD go "all-out" as I did a few years ago (mistake/overkill, little "ROI")

Here is what I did to a VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti4600, years ago!

(I.E.-> The attachment of a copper CPU heatsink + fan & also powersupply aluminum fins on lower chips w/ dual fans on each, + lastly, 486 cpu heatsink & fan combos on the RAM on the reverse side as well):

BOTTOM OF AGP GeForce 4 Ti4600 (w/ aluminum powersupply heatsinks & 23.5 cfm fan combos attached heatsink exterior w/ 486 cpu fans attached heatsink interior (ontop of 128mb RAM onboard) + CompUSA copper CPU fan/heatsink combo on GPU):

[​IMG]

TOP OF AGP GeForce 4 Ti4600 (with 486 cpu heatsink/fan combos attached to 128mb RAM):

[​IMG]

GeForce 4 Ti4600 modded & mounted (Abit VP-6 SMP/Dual CPU mobo):

[​IMG]

:(

* I said this was a "mistake" - Remember that!

(IMO? Well, not enough "ROI" really, I gained VERY LITTLE imo (only gained SLIGHT overclock ability (better than others got on their GeForce 4 Ti4600's though & about 12% off the dual Pentuim III 1ghz CPU's (up to 1152mhz iirc, & found they are NOT great overclockers, even w/ 8,000 rpm + 52cfm DELTA fans on them (superloud) doing this monstrosity, but good experience nonetheless & durability - runs to this day!))))...

Now, although I didn't spend a fortune on much of that, because it was MOSTLY extra parts I had except for the cpu cooler (generic copper compusa type, decent & not TOO expensive)... it worked out ok, money-wise imo!

The rest? "Scrap" that I reused from older rigs mostly.

E.G.-> A busted powersupply still came in handy - NICE HEATSINKS ARE IN THEM!

(Keep it in mind - Folks like you guys can use those, so don't just toss em!)

Plus 2 older 486 fans I have here with their heatsinks were another "ghetto-style recycle job"...

My PC room looks like "Sanford & Son", but I am glad it does (in a strange way, very cluttered with parts boxes etc.)!

Those stupid extra parts sometimes come in handy, like heatsinks, or fans, or combos of them, etc. (& it's better to reuse them imo, than have them sit & gather dust - especially when you can do a project).

Still... doing that vidcard mod? Heck, it ate up 3 PCI slots doing it! Affects upgradeability imo, adversely!

APK

P.S.=> Don't "bust on me" TOO hard about that wiring arrangement in that old beast of mine (still running to this day in THAT exact form, Dual Pentium III 1ghz SMP & all + this vidcard @ a pal of mine's company, running as a server for his business!)

I wasn't "neat" about my case internals around 1992-2004 or thereabouts...

It's folks like the ones @ THIS forums (& others heavily into case mods & such) that "inspired me" to keep a FAR neater case interior! My latest machine is VERY neat inside... lol! apk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    5 stars for imagination!!!!! maybe not so many tho for tidy case :)

11. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol the wiring in the case! i'm not knocking, i don't know if anyone could do anything with the amount of cables in there! i say props for getting all those wires and fans in the same case and not having any chop choppy!

12. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I "overdid" that case (especially in disks on it imo, too much cable clutter (full tower or not)), & imo?

Today's cases (like the one I have now) & cabling is more "efficient" in this manner... by far.

(Cases today are, imo, the product of experience for & by case modders - imo, they are just dead-up "lined up/architected" better inside, plus SATA cables RULE for space & tidiness! Even though I used rounded IDE cables on that beast pictured on the last page? I had SO many disks in it, it was still a horrible mess, & was WORSE with the flat type!)

* Anyhow... thanks for the praise on "imagination" on that one, I've done some mods of note I suppose coming from the likes of you all here, but for "sleeper-rod" type machines (look like hell, run well though) but, they certainly looked like hell on the inside!

APK

P.S.=> Because of critique like yours & mustang_man's (& from others on case-modding forums) I've made systems since then that are MUCH neater inside! Had to, I use "Windowed Cases" now... apk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  13. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    The fans wires, whew! Nightmare...

It actually worked out, NO chopping up the wires etc. when it ran (only cutting involved was my splicing wires I had to cut to make this "go-down"...)!

(Hence, the insane amount of clips on the "harness" such as it was & what I came up with & I did try to use fan grills )

E.G.- > There are 3 more fans on the case itself, steel case full tower type!

I drilled a 3.5" top-of-case blowhole into w/ fan, & also sidewall 5" fans & those too. All had grills on them also (top & bottom/inside & out).

It was "overkill" though, w/ VERY LITTLE return on o/c'ing the vidcard (Oh, I got more out of it, but not enough to 'turn the world upside-down', just a good o/c - one that would hold for LONG amounts of time, no artifacts/visual corruptions)

O/C'ing the duallie CPU's even was "ok" (11.5% gain maybe, expected more because I was running DELTA 8,000rpm + 52cfm fans on the CPU's), but P3's of the 1ghz type?

They just were not THAT o/c'able!

Still, keep in mind, that imo? It was NOT worth it...

No immediate "outrageous returns" came of it, some, but not huge (like you hear hydro-coolers &/or phase change cooling folks get)... just good o/c's & durability imo.

She runs to this day daily as a server-workhorse, in THAT config... solid.

(LOL, anyways, on the mess? "We've changed that policy here nowadays"... mainly because of folks' critiques of messy interior wirings, good always comes out of critique, it's how we improve!)

APK

P.S.=> That said in closing above? WELL, it's much diff. this round though, much neater casework interior-wise: In fact, I will post photos of my new system in the next day or two, why not? I just picked up a new Canon CoolPix L4 camera, does the job, might as well make it put up a photo of my latest monster in my signature, to do a "compare & contrast" lol!... apk

14. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    umm no its not... at 100% its 33dba i have 1... idle at 30c full load is 55c

15. stroker103 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well....I finally made a decision and went with the Zalman VF900-Cu!!
    WOW!!!! What a difference!! System idles around 33-35C and after playing ubersoldier or half-life2 for half an hour to an hour she doesn't seem to go over 50-52C !!!
    l used the thermal paste that came with the cooler, so I might pull it out and try it with some AS5. Only thing I don't like about this cooler is I can't connect the power lead to my card.....yet!! I might try and solder the proper connector to it. Thanx everyone for your posts and advice...It was much appreciated!!!

16. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure sounds liike a silcencer to me :p

17. macbeth New Member

Thanks Received:
    To Stroker103,
    I am quite sure you can use the power conector on the VGA card itself a company from Korea called EVERTOP has install the Zalman VGA coolers on to their VGA card and used the power conector on the card. http://evertop.co.kr/inc.php?inc=comp_en/index
    I am also curently trying to find a way where you use the power conectors on the card. If you find away please let me know.
    By the way if replace the 3pin conecter use by zalman and replace it with the smaller 2pin used in VGA card will it work? And where can we get those small 2 pin connectors?

18. stroker103 New Member

Thanks Received:
    to macbeth... the wire off my card is 3 pin so I should be able to just swap it, should'nt I ??

19. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    to kenny... why the hell did u quote from stroker when he was talking about a zalman....

20. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or, you can just take of the connector and solder the wires to the proper places on the card's connector.

21. stroker103 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok....just wanna make sure I'm talking about the right thing here......I could'nt connect the lead for the zalman directly to my video card , so I was thinking of taking the lead from the stock cooler and soldering it directly to the zalman or splicing it to the wires so it would go directly to the little connector on the video card because it also has 3 pins only it's quite a bit smaller. I should just be able to connect red to red, white to white and black to black, right ?

22. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should work out, many people have done it with the zalmans.

23. stroker103 New Member

Thanks Received:
    great !!.........thanx !!!

24. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    similer temps as the two coolers run about the same temps and about the same loudness... mainly to show that it isnt the stock alcu cooler that the gtos ship with...

25. macbeth New Member

Thanks Received:
    That will work but by doing so it will be permanent. Or at least kind of perment since you can remove it too if you want just more work. But again my question is that is there anyway to buy those smaller conectors to replace the bigger ones?
    Will it still work if i just hook up two of the wire to the board? Since the Zalman cooles have 3 wires. And why is it that some card uses 2pin while some uses 3pin?
    One more way is that came to my mind is that you cut off the 3 pin conector and 3 pin conector both from the stack fan and the zalman ones. Strip the wire and conect those wires and type them. Just simple wire conection.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006