1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video card corruption issue GTX 580

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by krazyazkid, Jan 28, 2011.

1. krazyazkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question is this power supply enough to power a pny nvidia 580 gtx http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1245&ID=1830

System has the following hardware:
    CPU: I7 960
    Video: PNY Nvidia 580 GTX
    Memory: 12 gigs triple channel
    Hard drives: 2 SSD's Intel 120 gig
    Sound: X-Fi Titanium
    Nic: Killer Nic
    DVD Burner

The reason I ask is because I ran into an issue about a year ago with the original configuration which was a 975w psu with a ATI 5970, I changed them out because I was having issues with video corruption and thought it was the power supply or the video card.. I also reformatted the PC at the time when I added the new parts. What is strange is after I bought the new parts PSU, Video card and SSD drives everything worked great for about a month and now all of a sudden I am having the issue again so I ran a memory check last night and it ran ok no errors so now I am at a loss as to what would cause this issue...

I now have 2 video cards one ati 5970 and a nvidia 580 gtx both have the problem and I have 2 PSU's a 975w and a 850w both have this issue cause video corruption..

I have ran thermal checks on the card to make sure there not over heating and they never break 59 - 60 on the temps same with CPU it never gets hot.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yes, psu is fine for card. 600 watts and 42 amps req'd. That psu supplies it.

Also, define 'video corruption'. Graphical errors are quite obvious.

Also, how do you do thermal checks? A GTX 580 under stress (High settings at 1920x1200 res with AA on) on DX11 games should run it nearer 70-80 degrees...

krazyazkid says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That PSU should be enough for either card. It's 12 volt single rail has 69 amps running though it. The GTX580 requires 42 amps. The 5970 requires 50 amps. I'd look at other parts in your computer as to what's causing your problems.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what is the video issue?

are you sure its not just your monitor?

krazyazkid says thanks.
  5. krazyazkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    The game is world of warcraft so these cards should easily run it :) THe corruption I see is artifacts on the screen just on the login screen I dont even get as far as logging in the game.. I will see the image distort like lines cutting the image from different directions and when the driver crashes the screen goes black for a second the driver crashes saying "nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered" it will keep doing this until I shut down the game.. What makes me wonder is it worked for a month after I put the new 850w supply with the new pny 580 card.. The error I would get with the ATI card was the same it would crash witht the error "driver stopped responding and has recovered, it will also display an error ATIKMDAG" to test the temps I was using the nvidia system tools and for the ati card I used the ati control panel to check the temps.. and one point I installed the cpuz to check temps as well they never exceed 59 to 60. Could it just be the game? Maybe a setting in the file it uses to set the graphic settings? just very odd that 2 cards/power supplys have the same issue... I have reset the video settings through the game itself and manully set them just to test and nothing seems to fix it so far and I have done a fresh install of windows 7 each time I changed the card/psu

Oh as for the monitor it is a Samsung LED 40 inch which has not issues with tv, video playstation 2 etc.. out side the game.

6. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    GTX580 NOT requires 42 amps, because that would be 504W. Maybe connectors theoretically could supply that wattage, but this card don't consume that much. The same about 5970. I agree on the rest of your thread:toast:.

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    5970 amperage requirements- http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/10

GTX580 amperage requirements- http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/867811-psu-requirements-gtx-580-a.html

I guess you know more than EVGA and Guru3d.

To OP- Do you have these same problems with other games?

krazyazkid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. krazyazkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only play warcraft.. sad I know... :)

9. krazyazkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I now think I feel pretty dumb, I am not at home to test this but I see a post from the game forum that says....

3# World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Display Driver CrashFollow the steps below for detailed instructions to resolve this issue.

* Completely exit World of Warcraft.
    * Go into the World of Warcraft folder.
    * Go into the WTF folder.
    * Open the config.wtf file with Wordpad/Notepad.
    * Add this to it: SET fixedfunction “1″.
    * Save the file.
    * Close the file and folder(s).
    * Log onto the game and it will run fine.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    well if that dont work, come back and lets see if we can figure it out.

krazyazkid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    No not me, but TPU knows more;
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/EAH5970/29.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/25.html
    Measured only GPU power usage.
    They both consumes 304W max. Of course it could be more, but not 200W more.

krazyazkid says thanks.
  12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  13. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    42amps for the 580 is the entire system so therefore u do need a psu that can supply this but it's not needed for it to supply the whole 42amps on 1 rail just to feed the card.

Mussels, yogurt_21 and BarbaricSoul say thanks.
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that is a common misconception, that people forget to clear up.

if a video cards requirements say "500W with 40A" they mean for an entire PC with the video card in it, not the video card needing that alone.