1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

video compression (HD-PVR and PVR-150)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by speedy11131, Feb 27, 2011.

1. speedy11131 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recorded gameplay videos from an HD-PVR and a PVR-150.

Some videos are at 1080i, while others are at 720p. These were encoded to h.264 by the device. The PVR-150 videos are at 720x480 resolution. These are compressed with MPEG (again by the device)

All I want to do is compress said videos (further), as they are taking up quite a bit of space. I would also like to deinterlace the videos where applicable.

Could someone recommend a simple program that would allow me to do these things?
    And also what bitrate and format to convert to, in your opinion, that would allow for best balance of size vs quality. These are first person shooter videos, so there is a lot of movement in the frame. :D

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    IMHO the best compression/quality format is .mkv(mastroska).

Maybe someone else might suggest something better?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    matroska is just a container, its not a codec so therefore its completely unrelated to compression of video in any way.

What you want is handbrake for full control of your encoding, or freemake for one click conversion (with far less control over what actually gets done)

for the best feature set, you want the MKV container - but its not always compatible with many devices. MP4 is the most compatible option that still supports the H264 codec, which is what most HD files use nowadays (best video quality at same file size)

what you want to encode them to entirely depends on what you're playing them back from. if its on PC, MKV with H264 (choose your own advanced settings - you can boost reference frames and Bframes quite a lot for better quality at the same size, but at a loss of compatibility/beefier hardware required to play it back) at 30FPS with 192Kb MP3 stereo audio should be about perfect.