1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Friend has a 14 yr old who's into compiling videos, mostly for youtube uploads. He's been using OEM Dell software, and it's got it's limitations.

So time to move up. This would be a Christmas present depending on the price.

Looking for reccomendations for those who have done homework or have software they like. I'm assuming he'll want it to handle a variety of formats and be able to overlay audio, some non-linear editing, titles and stuff. Nothing very high-end.

thanks!

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you don't mind dual-booting I hear Kdenlive is the bee's knees. (Being free doesn't hurt either! :))

On the pay front I've heard Adobe Premiere CS5 is pretty swell. Personally I stay away from all Adobe products and their cancer. (It aint cheap...)

There are other options, and hopefully someone more familiar with the terrain will chime in.

Sasqui says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can look at the freeware section, I can guarantee you that you will be able to find something good there.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The Adobe suite is $799! :eek:

Why does kdenlive require a dual boot? EDIT... nevermind, I see it's Linux/GNU. Don't think that'll fly.

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  8. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    I've been using Honestech VCR to DVD 5.0 for a few days now. It will allow you to transfer from camera, VCR, TV antenna, DVD Player, Game Console, and Set Top Box to USB 2.0 port on computer. The video box is small and included in the package. The video ports are rather composite or s-video inputs.

http://www.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp
    I got mine from Microcenter for $69.99 minus a $15.00 MIR

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna step out here and say that free suggestions, for a christmas gift, are not a good idea. OP wants to buy the kid as gift, not pawn off a free alternative he could do any day.

Please feel free to correct me if wrong, Asylum.

Oh, and Sony Vegas offers multi-stream editing, so say you have 3 camera angles, you can load them all up, and very easily switch between stream, while retaining audio from only one, or from all comeras...pretty good software, iMHO.

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While that's true, OP can get a free software for child AND get something else for him, win-win, don't you think? (Given that most decent Video editing software costs more than a proper rig)

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Seriously dude...Vegas has just about everything that adobe has, other than the fancy transitions. For less than $50, too. That's hardly expensive. As a personal user of that software, I can say it's far more powerful than most think, as very few "tech" people actually use it.

It's the cost of a new-release game. That's pretty good.

I do get your point, however. Mind you, I rarely, if ever, turn to free solutions, as they cannot provide personalized support for free products, most often.

12. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Well excusse me...I thought he could use the free software and get them something else for christmas.
    Need more input really because it sounds like his kid is only editing videos for youtube.
    No need to spend alot of money on something when all they need is free software.

13. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget student discounts! I can get it through my school district for $199/299/349 (standard/production premium/web premium). Check with the school district.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I dunno. I'm not in any sort of position where paying for software is something I balk at. In fact, other than some software tools for stability testing, like GPU-Z and Prime95, every software I use is paid for(like Everest and FRAPs and 3DMarks). I'm not a big fan of open-source stuff.

Oh, and I mentioned your name...but meant Sasqui. lol:laugh: Sry dude!

:laugh:

15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Well free or not, it's got to work! If it's not free, it's got to be cheap... no more than $150.

Sony Vegas appears to be worth looking into.

16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i like Cyberlink products, and i think new version use the graphic card as an accelerator, u can try trial version