• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video Game Addiction Possibly a Mental Disorder

System Name W.I.P.
Idk, I just know some people who I game with who are completely horrible when it comes to being sociable anymore. At the same time this just happens when people spend their time by themselves period.

Which is usually the SYMPTOM(s) of SOMETHING ELSE going on/or already happened in their life. Blaming video games or anything else is just going to give them/that individual a crutch/excuse. It doesnt solve the real problem which lies within the individual.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
they don't know what is the real game addiction... those guys who play WOW sometimes play 24hours straight and they are still fine...

russianboy

Processor AMD 3500+ Venice at stock
Motherboard ECS K8T890-A
Memory 1 Gb Corsair Valueram CAS 3
Video Card(s) Connect3d X800 GTO OC'd to 551.25/551.25
Storage 4 mixed up drives
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"LCD
Case Generic noname crap
Audio Device(s) Realtec AC'97
Power Supply 500 watt Ultra PSU
Software Win2k Pro, XP, Ubuntu linux, and Vista
This entire thing is bullshit.

One day my steam acc. was hacked, and I absolutely LOVED the games I played, yet the only thing I experience the next day was boredom. Addictive? I think not!

I honestly think that games such as CS:S may actually be beneficial, after I play 20 min of some high paced FPS and go play dodgeball, I have uber reflexes and cannot get hit.

Yes, sometimes we do get absorbed in games and we don't notice whats going around us. But so what? Books and movies do that as well, and do they make you mental? No they don't.

I swear, in the US there is going to be a Moms against videogames club.

But why should I care? I got nothing to do, so why not play a few rounds of BF2?

I see little negatives w/ playing video games, I think the people who have problems after playing these games have metal disorder history in their families. I am mostly a calm collected guy, usually I get aggressive while debating (I love debates) but unless my buttons are really pushed, I don't get very angry.

BTW, Why aren't these people focusing on more important things, alzheimer's, downs, autism, etc. instead of wasting American tax dollars to prove how crazy and demented video games will make you? No one gives a shit except mothers w/ nothing better to do.

This reminds me of the polarized public from the Vietnam war, the war on drugs, the war in Iraq, and so many others.

If even one politician says they want to restrict or censor games, I will consider America a dictatorship

Last edited:
Wait, wait . . . I'm seeing a pattern
Music caused the worlds problems (didn't pan out)
TV caused the worlds problems (didn't pan out)
ITS VIDEO GAMES IT HAS TO BE!!

Because I play FPS, WoW, Strategy, and other MMOs I now have :
Road rage (err.. wait thats stupid drivers)
Gotten into fights (err.. no that was the alcohol they had. . .)
Etc . . .
Etc . . .

Of course they found people that were addicted and needed help, there are people that are addicted to everything (drugs, alcohol, shopping, killing, gaming, tv, etc). If I wanted to find aspirin addictive I’d look for people that were addicted to it because of some mental issue.

Ripper3, yes there is a clinic in Sweden. It was in the news about a month ago I believe.

they don't know what is the real game addiction... those guys who play WOW sometimes play 24hours straight and they are still fine...

{TWITCH}{TWITCH} I'm fine {TWITCH} Really!

NOW WHERE IS MY SC II BETA!! err . . . yeah

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
Well, since games require teamplay to effectivly play, and you use microphones in most games now... who is up for a little bombing run on wherever the hq is for these doctors? :cool:

stereotype (Lets go kill them) aside That is a ridiculous claim, 5 years ago? possibly looking into it would make since but today games are no longer liner single player time wasting events. They require strategy, team play and cooperation. Go to cal and then tell me you don't need team play to win seriously, and last I checked, team play promotes social activity, or should we also have kids stop playing basketball and soccer? As for the content, only the extremely weak minded and impressionable could be effected to act on a game, thats why 5 year olds don't (should not) play M rated games.

Do you realize I have made $70 playing CSS for tournament.com, and im not even that good. Games can be profitable, and even educational. Sometimes I think (know) people are doing something for reasons not brought to the publics attention (ahhm, funding)

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.

See -- they agree with me.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
I guess this would only effect kids who have been hardcore gaming since the age of 7.

Hiiiiiiiii :D

Ya I second that, I was playing Wolfinstin 3d as a child on my dads work computer (386) because we did not yet have a ness/sness/sega etc. and I (think) I turned out fine, Im a little to eccentric but that can hardly be blamed on killing Nazis and Demons as a child. Next there going to tell me playing video games gave me diabetes, or my overeating (I weighed 95lb in 3rd grade when I got it. :laugh:)

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Hmmmm I feel an itch on my arm and i feel silly in my mind , oh no whats wrong with me? Do I need medication can I collect disability.....ridiculous:roll::roll::banghead:

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Processor AMD Athlon x2 4200+ @ 2.61ghz
Motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA
Cooling 1x250mm (side), 2x120mm (one front and back), 6000+ stock cooler
Memory 3Gb Corsair value select PC2-4200 (2x512mb and 2x1gb))
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Storage 320gb Seagate Baracuda / 160gb western digital
Display(s) ASUS 19" widescreen LCD. 1440x900
Case Apevia Jupiter-JR S-Type
Audio Device(s) on-board. Audigy died D;
Power Supply Ultra 600W X-pro
Software Vista Home Premium
I wonder what kind of medication someone would prescribe for a video game addiction...?

Note: i've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to think of a funny drug name, kudos to anyone who thinks of something.

Redshift

LOL

i guess im socially dysfunctional :(

all those frat parties, interviews, and lay backs... man i never knew i sucked at being around people cause i play company of heroes... my my

the worst is faggots like jack thompson are gonna use this a source of credibility

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I play around 2 hours each day, and this is on an FX 5200 and the 4 games that it can actually run (although of course, not very well). When I get my 8800 GTX I will play at least 4 hours a day (mostly because it will be summer, but still).

The FX5200 would certainly give me a few disorders.

Oh and i game less now that i have a GTX, lol.

Oh noes, 4 hours a day is bad! God, look at what people do in their jobs - is a mechanic spending 3-4 hours a day tuning his shiny car an addiction? what about accountants being stingy? bimbos like paris hilton and their clothes/makeup?

Oh and i'm a quiet type too, gaming is my vent where i become all competitive and yell at people (i'm the best gamer at the local lan events too, especially with RTS)
Of course - i'm nothing like those counterstrike people who go nuts every time they die, we've all seen those clips on youtube.

Generally, i have been so desensitized by other things, such as movies, music, and graphic literature novels that I laugh at everything so video games are not the only problem desensitizing the world. It is a technological world and knowledge is more readily available.

Video games are not the problem; it is the sociological factors that determine the kind of human being you are; such as parents, religion, school, politics etc

Yeah, my parents let me watch alien/aliens when i was like 5, and the most enjoyment of my day is playing games like CnC3/COH and watching my real-world friends go up in really pretty explosions.

i have always wonderd where the voices in my head come from.............
Probably from when i beat you up as a child, one too many times... cant blame gaming for that one, you used the PC more than me in those days!

nora.e

Processor Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard Asus P5G41C-M
Cooling Stock
Memory 4gig (2 x 2048) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Palit GTS 250
Storage Seagate Barracuda 320 gig SATA X2
Display(s) Asus VW222U 22" LCD
Case Rosewill R101-P-BK
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
Software Windows XP Pro 32 bit
I don't agree with their opinion at all. Gaming is an ecsape to some. I've deffenitly got both an adictive pearsonality And some pretty hard core anger issues, but that's from dealing with both the Iraqi Republican Gaurd, and the cheap worthless two bit sifalys infected cum burping gutterslut hore bag bitch I use to be maried to! Oh by the way I'm no longer bitter.
Besides the more time I spend casting lightning bolt at slime mold with my staff of serious intent, the less time I'm spending in public venting on people that suck! They may like to re evaluate their thoughts and consider my 5-10 hours a day gaming a good thing.

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
System Name Hell PC
Processor Intel Core i7 4820k @ 4'50GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 BIOS F17
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 4x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II @ 1306/3746
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SATA III, Seagate 1'5TB SATA II, Seagate 2TB SATA III
Display(s) Acer V243HAObd
Case Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC898 HD 7.1
Power Supply Nox Pulsar Blue 750w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark Ice Storm: 176205 3Dmark Cloud Gate: 25357 3Dmark Fire Strike: 7760
I should be actually killing people or thinking I'm some in-game character by now, according by that. I had periods of 6-7 or more hours a day plyaing... and others of weeks without touching a game. There are people wich actually have it's own menthal troubles, and they may appear publicly because of some video game, but that troubles where there previously. Most of the people will jsut get angry at the game/system from tiem to time, as anybody will get with anything that fails/doesn't end as one wishes, nothing more.

Fuse-Wire

Scotland, Far away from normality as possible
System Name The Box
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 2300MHz (11.5x200) 4400+
Motherboard AsRock N 68-S
Cooling Basic 90mm fans
Memory OCZ XTC Platinum 2GB DDR-2 800 SDRAM
Video Card(s) ATI Saphire x1650 Pro Series
Storage Maxtor 6L300R0 (300GB) Maxtors S (250GB)
Display(s) 19" LCD CTX
Case EYE-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC650 @ Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]
Power Supply 600W colors-IT super quiet
Software Microsoft 7 Ultimate
According to a 10 page report released by an American Medical Association committee, excessive video game playing leads to social dysfunction. As a result the committee is recommending it to become a formal disorder in the upcoming revision of the 'Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-IV.' In the report a heavy video game user plays for more than two hours per day. This in turn leads to negative actions such as aggressive thoughts and aggressive behaviors. The report also compares video game addiction with that of pathological gambling.

Source: 1UP

total bull. i play games excess of two hours a day after work, and have a social life, and its not like i have an agression problem, mean i hardly walk round the streets wanting to blow everyones heads off with the SA80 i have stuffed in ma back pocket lol. these "scientists" obviously have nothing better to do with thier time and money, the idiots :p

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I play FPS games all day and I af far, FAR from agressive... I guess my brain is broken.

1Strive

System Name Back in Black
Processor AMD Opteron 180 @ 2.6GHz (Dual Core)
Motherboard Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling All Antec Case Fans (3-speed and Quiet as they come.)
Memory 2GB DDR440MHz (Corsair XMS LED Series) 1GB x2 [Dual-Channel]
Video Card(s) 8800GTS G92 512mb (eVGA-745/1000) 9474 in 3Dmark06 at Defaults.
Storage 2 WD 74GB Raptors in RAID Zero for Vista. WD 250GB for XP and Storage
Display(s) Acer 22' widescreen. 1680x1050 res / 5ms
Case Antec Black Server Chassis / Logitec G7 Wireless-Laser Mouse
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music w/ 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones
Power Supply Antec 500Watt ATX2.0 Modular
Software Vista Ultimate (64-bit) / Playing: Crysis in DX9 on XP @ 1680x1050 High with 30FPS
Benchmark Scores Over 9k in 3DMark06! That's better than 80% of all systems tested and logged according to 3Dmark's s
Just more proof that...

THE WORLD NEEDS JESUS!

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
This entire thing is bullshit.

One day my steam acc. was hacked, and I absolutely LOVED the games I played, yet the only thing I experience the next day was boredom. Addictive? I think not!

I honestly think that games such as CS:S may actually be beneficial, after I play 20 min of some high paced FPS and go play dodgeball, I have uber reflexes and cannot get hit.

Yes, sometimes we do get absorbed in games and we don't notice whats going around us. But so what? Books and movies do that as well, and do they make you mental? No they don't.

I swear, in the US there is going to be a Moms against videogames club.

But why should I care? I got nothing to do, so why not play a few rounds of BF2?

I see little negatives w/ playing video games, I think the people who have problems after playing these games have metal disorder history in their families. I am mostly a calm collected guy, usually I get aggressive while debating (I love debates) but unless my buttons are really pushed, I don't get very angry.

BTW, Why aren't these people focusing on more important things, alzheimer's, downs, autism, etc. instead of wasting American tax dollars to prove how crazy and demented video games will make you? No one gives a shit except mothers w/ nothing better to do.

This reminds me of the polarized public from the Vietnam war, the war on drugs, the war in Iraq, and so many others.

If even one politician says they want to restrict or censor games, I will consider America a dictatorship

Congratulations, you're not addicted. you aren't the target of this "disorder" classification.

An addiction would be a case where you're like the german kid in the youtube video actually harming things while playing, or neglecting things you need to do.. such as eating, exercise, etc.

Playing something 24/7 really can mess up a metabolism.

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
i strongly disagree. as an avid gamer who has frequently spent more than 2hours a day gaming, i'm far from socially dysfunctional or agressive at ALL; indeed, i'm probably one of the most easygoing and non-confrontational people i know...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Ya I second that, I was playing Wolfinstin 3d as a child on my dads work computer (386) because we did not yet have a ness/sness/sega etc. and I (think) I turned out fine, Im a little to eccentric but that can hardly be blamed on killing Nazis and Demons as a child. Next there going to tell me playing video games gave me diabetes, or my overeating (I weighed 95lb in 3rd grade when I got it. :laugh:)

3rded - i was playing DOS games (the puzzle/adventure ones) by the age of 4. My god, prince of persia was HARD AS HELL when i couldnt read and/or write properly! reading the manual sucked!

(to those younger people... price of persia is OLD. the new ones are... new)

Edit: oh and during high school i was an obsessive diablo II addict. 4-8 hours a day. (For a few years... real addict)
To be honest, i have never once started obsessively hurling fireballs at demons. Nor have i become 7 feet tall dual wielding axes and slaughtering demonic cows (secret cow level ftw!) Oh sorry, fiction :D forgot that.

Oooh oooh, i also play company of heroes - suddenly, i an a nazi! i am going to lead germany to victory in WWII!

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Processor AMD Athlon x2 4200+ @ 2.61ghz
Motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA
Cooling 1x250mm (side), 2x120mm (one front and back), 6000+ stock cooler
Memory 3Gb Corsair value select PC2-4200 (2x512mb and 2x1gb))
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Storage 320gb Seagate Baracuda / 160gb western digital
Display(s) ASUS 19" widescreen LCD. 1440x900
Case Apevia Jupiter-JR S-Type
Audio Device(s) on-board. Audigy died D;
Power Supply Ultra 600W X-pro
Software Vista Home Premium
Just more proof that...

THE WORLD NEEDS JESUS!

not...

I've been playing violent video games all my life and I have to admit, it does make me a little aggressive, but I would never kill anyone ffs...