1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video Streamers and Content Providers of TPU *UNITE*

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Binge, Oct 5, 2012.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Well lets see if anyone here has an idea as to what to do here. When I record with Dxtory and the x264 codec, it records fine, and plays fine in VLC or WMP. But sometimes when dropping it into Premiere I get compression artifacts and audio lag. And sometimes using Handbrake fixes it, othertimes it does not. Also this is only for specific games. Like Battlefield 3 never ever does this. But MechWarrior Online and Borderlands 2 get this issue decently often.

2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Before trying to edit it premiere are you able to play the file without errors/issues?

3. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    I stream with
    Open Broadcaster Software:
    http://obsproject.com/

Free software that does all I need. I used a couple other free softwares, but they either don't have all I need or my existing CPU is too weak.

I had uploaded some 1200p/1440p video to youtube, but I may just livestream everything I play and upload selectively to youtube now.

Do you know at which bitrate would upping it not make much of a visible difference? I can stream up to ~38000 kbps.

Binge says thanks.
  4. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Looks interesting. What sort of encoding and at what resolution are you streaming? The bitrate needed is entirely dependent on your level of encoding + quality settings.

For example with FFsplit I can use medium encoding and drop my bitrate from 3000 (which uses fast encoding) to 1800.

5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they play fine in WMP and VLC. Thats why I'm so confused on it. Also the fact that it's only specific games, and even with those games, some of the recordings are fine, and others aren't.

6. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I have an idea and this is mostly guess work, but you might want to use ffmpeg to re-encode the files keeping the same quality. This is a work-around but a number of people I've spoken with report success after re-encoding to the same format using a variety of programs.

As to the settings at which you would re-encode I am lost to that effect, so I'll do some more digging and get back with any findings I come across.

7. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I might be interested in streaming some LoL.

8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    J5 man, do you have me on Gchat, skype, or the like? We can have you set up in about an hour.

oh and... you can ask stuff here too :p

9. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    pmsg you my skype and gchat info.

10. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help binge, ffsplit > xsplit. No question.

Binge says thanks.
  11. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know how much of a difference there is between an i5-3570k, i7-2700k, and i7-3770 (or the equivalent Xeon E3-1230v2 which is cheaper) in regards to livestreaming/video encoding?
    (Power is expensive in SoCal (Tier 5) and I may be interested in virtualization, so that furthers the difficulty of this choice)
    They are all available to me at similar price points and support my motherboard. I'm faced with a tough decision; if it were newegg prices, the decision would be easy.

12. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Ivy Bridge cores will be stronger for encoding than Sandy Bridge. Likewise the more threads you have at your disposal the better. In that tier of processor you will have awesome performance no matter what you choose :)

13. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I've been struggling with quality when livestreaming. I had a glance through this (great) thread but didn't see any info on internet speeds and their relation to quality settings. Should I continue trying more settings with a 100kBps upload speed (max) or should I see about upgrading internet speeds?

Also, I managed to break something by installing so many livestreaming and recording apps before, all games slowed to a crawl (major fps issues even at lowest settings) so I now to be careful about how many apps I install. Any ideas what I could have borked (just to satisfy my addiction to information :p)?

Will be streaming Firefall and PlanetSide2 when I get this all sorted :)

14. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Internet speeds have very little to do with how well you can record, but how well you can supply the rtmp server with your information. The lower your kbps encoding the less you will have to transmit to the RTMP server. You also run across the issue of buffering etc etc.... For better instructions it would be better to know your connection specs, intended quality, and streaming application of choice.

Your bitrate upload to the rtmp server should be no more than 75% your max upload for buffering purposes. If you have a max upload of 100kBps you would want your max encoding rate should be set to 614kbps.

At that bitrate you are restricted by motion accuracy quality (quality of picture in moving scenes) and you are restricted by resolution.

I would suggest starting at 640x360 and make your encoding rate 614kbps. You can get really nice quality at that resolution. People viewing in a youtube sized window will really enjoy the smoothness and accurate motion capture with that bitrate & resolution.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Just boring broadband atm, no fibre optic.
    I was hoping to get the quality high enough for people to be able to read the chat box, but I might be wishing for too much :eek: I see a lot of recommendations on ffsplit and it feels much better than XSplit so I'd like to use that.

I didn't think it was worth trying a bitrate that low, I'm going to give a test after work tonight hopefully. I saw everyone else streaming at 1080p with great quality and I thought "oooh I can do that" :laugh:

Cheers man

16. Binge

Thanks Received:
    ::EDIT:: My original observations were correct whoops D: If you want any help with your stream just PM me or ask here. I'd be happy to help.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  17. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Playing Tank - YouTube

Finally tried Dxtory..works well but gotta watch/read some stuff about setup. No lag while recording besides microstutters was awesome.

Binge says thanks.
  18. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Please post your recording settings as screenshots! I'd love to see if there was a way to optimize your capture!

By the way friends a new version of FF Split has been released,

Change logs for the past two major releases/fixes,

:rockout:

19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested in recording video from my PC (which I have this thread bookmarked!), but I'm also really interested in capturing video from console (all generations I own). I've seen some hardware solutions in the wild, but what options do I have for using my PC to intercept the video/audio from the console?

20. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the late response here Dannibus.

Just wanted to provide you and everyone else here with another option for screen/device capture and streaming.

http://obsproject.com/ - an open source broadcasting project.

My opinion as of ffsplit's latest build is not very positive and I have been using the open broadcaster. It is currently more stable than ffsplit and currently what makes ffsplit unstable is the capture software it uses. Open broadcaster really shines for multi-device capture.

X-split is going to have to step it up or get shut out by small start-up projects like this and FFsplit.

As for capture cards I can give you a few recommendations, but if cost is not an issue I would look as far as the following

PCI-E version of the Black Magic Devices Intensity Pro. It is a complicated beast, and definitely not for all age-groups/educational backgrounds. The important part is that to my knowledge no other device has the compatibility/functionality this card has. Just be warned there's a lot of people who hate this, but my brother uses it exclusively in his streams and captures he puts up on Youtube.

www.youtube.com/user/Piph0

He has been recording DarkSouls recently and it will have been his first game recorded and uploaded to youtube with this capture card. Hopefully those videos are being uploaded because he's been talking my ear off non-stop concerning the quality.

AVermedia has a lot of awesome devices, but finding the best for you can be a challenge.

Hauppauge(sp?) manages an impressive portfolio as long as you can get past the TV/DVR stuff.

Diamond released a couple gamer capture boxes which I am currently reviewing. More information will be covered in a formal review I'm doing for Diamond at the moment. Currently they offer no solution to assist with streaming content although I go through a work-around in my review. Unfortunately it does not offload encoding from the cpu when using this work around, but you will get your video game capture.

You also have the option of Elgato Game Capture HD which I would go for if you aren't interested in any of the PVR functions and just want game capture. It's small and effective.

Please note that all capture devices are subject to 1080P read-protection. This means that when recording 1080P your device may not be able to capture from its target because of copy protection. Just swap the resolution down to 720P to fix.

Hope this helps!

DannibusX says thanks.
  21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Just a little channel my friend Wes and I set up.

TacticalHandleGaming - YouTube

I've been doing some Hitman videos lately, need to encode some more footage and get it edited.

Binge says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    My Assassins Creed 3 Playlist.
    All Naval Battles on youtube, all lined up in a playlist.
    Comes to about 80 min worth of all out, Maxed, HD, Naval destruction.
    All on a GTX 680.

I <3 the way AC3 does naval battles but I hate how I could never enjoy watching them because I'm to busy dodging cannon fire. :eek:
    So with that in mind, I took a very long time and created this..

Assassins Creed 3 Navy Battles in Max HD p1 - YouT...
    The link goes straight to the playlist and goes from start to end.
    From the first Navy encounter, to the last..So far.

I haven't beaten the game yet.
    Done all up to: The giant and the storm and Biddles Hideout.
    If there are more, I will add them as I get to them. ;)

:toast:

PS: TY Binge for pointing me to this topic.
    I had no idea it was here. :)

UPDATE:
    Added "A Bitter End" now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Binge says thanks.
  23. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Recently I've gotten the chance to write my first capture card review. From this shot can anyone guess which one this is?

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
  24. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Roxio or Elgato? HD PVR?

Binge says thanks.
  25. Binge

Thanks Received:
    It's a Diamond GC1000! The review should be up in a couple of days.

:D

If you want an example of what can be done... well I'll add the link after I get home! :toast: