1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vintage hardware - Athlon XP 2500+ good for anything anymore?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jeffredo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I was digging around in my junk closet and found a motherboard/CPU that I pulled from a case years ago to recycle it for a new build. Its a Shuttle AN35N-Ultra (they used to make full sized mobos) with an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton in it. Is it useful for anything anymore? I have pretty much everything I need to resurrect it save for a case and power supply. Could get them for less than $100. Should I even bother? Thought maybe I could make a Linux box or a school PC for one of my nieces or nephews. Should I just drop it off at an e-cycling place and forget about it? I hate having so much old hardware gathering dust and slowly getting useless!

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    would make i good pc for your nephews.

i think it would also be good for a file storage server?

i had an am2 athlon 3500+, single core, and it rocked :O

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a similar system at work sometimes. Works great for browsing the web and it handles Office quite well. I have Windows 7 running on it.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  4. DJEscreet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have amy old xp2400 that I built when I was at uni running down at the coastguard station that I work part time at. We use it for excel spredsheets that monitor all the equipment record checks, printing forms and scanning documents. Its not hooked up to the internet. Its running xp sp3 and office 2007 and runs like it did the day I built it. The PSU is sounding a little "whistly" right now but its still going strong. I imagine it will continue to do so for some time yet.... (with a new psu!!)

5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    An Athlon ain't useless. For most tasks regular users give their PCs it should be good enough. It is not a Netburst type Celeron we are talking about.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it could certainly manage being an office machine or HTPC.

7. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    hey, yeah a nice little office type pc, or a pc for a child or a home file server, not useless yet :)

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    While it would work as the others have said, I don't think it's worth spending $100 on it. I donated my 2500+ system to a friend who runs XP on it and it's not exactly quick.

Also, how much RAM do you have with it? Don't even think about Windows 7 with less than 2GB RAM. A new system starts thrashing the HDD with that 1GB RAM and goes slow, so an an old system will be hit much harder and make for a very frustrating experience. 512MB is unuseable on a modern system, it thrashes so much, let alone this old one.

It would make an excellent firewall however. I use IPCop.

Spend to $20-30 perhaps, but no more.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If you notice, it doesn't start trashing until you start opening applications with 512Mb. Windows 7 loads just fine. I have a friend with a Core 2 Duo and 1.5Gb of memory and it runs fine. Heck, he can even play Garry's Mod on it, but for the purposes as an HTPC or office machine, it will do fine with 1Gb. Granted that doesn't mean open every application you can find 3 times, you have to be sensible about how much you open at once. Honestly, occasionally you will find someone selling DDR memory for really cheap. I bought 2Gb 4x512Mb DDR-400 from someone here on TPU for 15 USD. So even if memory does become an issue, it doesn't have to be.

10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    If you install only a couple of programs on it then perhaps it might run more or less acceptably, sort of. I set my rig (see specs) to use only 512MB with a fully loaded Windows 7, including internet security software using msconfig to try it out and it thrashed like crazy. Did this for every little mouse click, too.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've ran a sempron 2200+ i think it was on windows 7, it worked ok with 1GB of ram.

then again, whats wrong with XP? i've had XP running at <100MB of ram at idle on a fresh install, and with something like CCCP for media playback, you know it can handle anything.

12. Tonim89

Thanks Received:
    I use a Dell Pentium4-based with 1GB DDR 400 at work and it runs smoothly for office tasks and email.

I think it could be interesting to revive this equipment and use it as workstation, if you have someone else to use it for simple tasks and web browse. ;)

13. jeepdriver

jeepdriver

Thanks Received:
    I run a Athlon MP, OC'd to 2.43 GHz. Infinity NFII ultra board, 2 gig ddr 400, ATI X1950 AGP, 500w psu, modded Tt3 case. XSPC water block, pump/reservoir, corsair fans, and a automotive transmission cooler for a radiator. Ubuntu 12.04. Got under $400 in it and I love it !

14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would like to find something similar to this to use as a router. Something like a ITX with a PCI slot.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Only have 1GB of RAM for it (PC2700). I could install XP on it - that's what was on it previously. Just have an 80GB IDE hard drive for it, but I wouldn't install much so that's not an issue. Yeah, the cost of a case and PS is the only outlay. If I had those it would already be built, but its hard to turn loose of any money for a PC I don't really need. :laugh:

16. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    print server

17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'd use it as a workshop computer.

Aquinus says thanks.
  18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely! Do you need Windows? Could Xubuntu suit your fancy as a Windows alternative? It's pretty lean on memory and CPU so it leaves more resources for music, video, browsing, etc. If you really want to talk about saving memory you could customize a bare (cli only) Ubuntu installation and install only what you need.

19. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have XP (or I could install Mint or something).

In a nutshell:

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
    Shuttle Nforce2 mobo
    Rosewill HSF 92mm Socket A HSF
    2GB Crucial Ballistix PC 3200 RAM (found it in another junk box!)
    80GB Maxtor IDE hard drive
    Radeon X850 XT AGP
    Either Win XP or a Linux distro

Again, looks like all I'm missing is the case and PS. I'll see what I can scrounge up on sale.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Depends how much ram it has but some distro of linux will run acceptable on it, theres many with lots of pre installed programs to get you started. I cant directly compare but a 939 pin Athlon 64 3500+ was okay at surfing the net when i used my cousins pc (highly useable), where as an old pentium 4 was really slow and pushing it.

At least with the 939 pin it has SATA and pci express, not so sure about older sockets.

EDIT: Yeah looking at the specs above it would run okay for just daily computing tasks. Try look for power supply and case bundles as those are usually cheaper, i wouldn't spend a lot.

21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If you have 7, I would throw that on there. If not, give Linux a try. It won't hurt. Worse comes to worse you can always go back to XP, but I would rather use some form of linux before I did that.

22. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    You may need to use XP if you want working AGP GART drivers. Thank NVIDIA for dropping the ball 7 years ago on that one.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. jeepdriver

jeepdriver

Thanks Received:
    Directron has some case/psu combos for just under $40. The power supplies with these may not the greatest, but for the price.......

24. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    ygpm

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    Well if you decide you don't want the X850XT AGP anymore, PM ME!