1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vintage Magnavox speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by xBruce88x, Aug 30, 2014.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I need some help figuring out just what these things can handle power wise. right now they're running off my ghetto modded sub unit but i think they could do better with more power. I think they're only getting about 10w or so. they ran pretty good off an old record player i had... before it got hit by a power surge.

anyways... here's some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they still sound pretty good :)

Thanks in advance!

More than 25k PPD
  2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well i just sent an email to Magnavox's support, hopefully somebody there will have an answer.

More than 25k PPD
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Is that a sticker on the back of the speaker saying 120v, 60Hz? That makes no sense. It would be like saying they should be plugged into a wall socket.

If the back of the speaker case can be removed, the woofer may have a wattage (peak RMS) stamped on it.

4. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to say that 10w is fine for every day use with these particular speakers.... I would give them no more than 15w each and it should be clean power also.....I wouldnt expect they will do much more than that, in all fairness.

I expect these to be Alnico based 8" 2-ways and a tweeter that'll go somewhere up-to/around 18khz.

Treat them nicely; they appear to be quite rare. :toast:

5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    they've had better bass response on my old record player... but that thing got fried. they're now running off my little 2.1 system. I don't plan to let go of them any time soon, as far as treating them nicely... that's why i want to know what they can handle, dont want to over power them. as for the 120v 60hz thing, i think they came bundled with a radio/record combo unit way back when. (not the one i was using though, it was a Panasonic) BTW,... Alice Cooper's Special Forces album rocked on these things

also... i though about removing the back but it can't be removed. The only way would be to un-screw the speakers but they are also glued in place and I don't want to ruin the seal. Not exactly sure what they mean by Air Suspension either...

More than 25k PPD
  6. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well not even Magnavox knows... they just keep telling me its the wrong serial number.

More than 25k PPD
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    The 60's & 70's had a lot of speakers that were air suspension types(also, called acoustic suspension)... they were sealed enclosures.

This wiki listing should help with the info on acoustic suspension, passive, ported(bass reflex) or other variations.

As far as the model number...I am guessing, Magnavox probably doesn't keep info on old antique systems or they don't know where to research on antique items, as, Magnavox has been acquired by Phillips, which then merged Phillips, Philco, and Magnavox and they split off some departments(divisions) and so on.
    I would suspect the records could of been lost, destroyed, or stored away in some storage room that has a few layers of dust.
    And, the sticker is generic sticker applied to all the parts and the 120v 60hz was printed on all the stickers; and, as you stated, it was probably part of a stereo system or the optional rear speakers on some console stereo systems.

I remember my parents had a Magnavox stereo console system that had the same looking (rear) speakers as those.

xBruce88x says thanks.
  8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    I have a pair of pioneer units, the drivers look identical and about the same age. I can post some pics of the drivers and various stickers. Probably of no help but if there the same resistance might give a very rough guess at power ratings?

xBruce88x says thanks.
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Might be wrong but I don't think the speakers were part of a system, the model number is actually S-8753 shown on the first pic, I would guess they are late 60's possibly 1970, I only say that because I think production moved to Tennessee from Indiana late 70/early 71..... might be a little out there though. These probably have CTS OEM drivers as CTS supplied most of the bigger and decent brandnames back in the day including Magnavox, Marantz, Fisher etc.

Can't seem to find any specs though, maybe that CTS can help if you let them know the model name, I am sure CTS would know what components they put in them!

http://www.ctscorp.com/about/beginnings.htm

xBruce88x says thanks.
  10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The resistance for almost all speakers in that day were either 8 or 4 ohm. It has to do with impedance matching with the amplifier, not power unfortunately. The closer the internal resistance between the two, the more efficient the power transfer would be.

xBruce88x and ste2425 say thanks.
  11. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the info guys, guess i'd better not break their seal lol. they're running just fine, just not as much bass as before. the subwoofer in my 2.1 unit makes up for it though.

95Viper says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  12. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would pair it up with an equal quality Amplifier of the same age. Bearing in mind the matching impedance as Sasqui mentioned.

I have my Pioneers running of an Sony TA-515 i found in a charity shop for £10 nothing wrong with it just old and dirty.

[Not Mine but Identical, minus the green light]
    [​IMG]

It sounds so much better than when i ran my speakers of a 2.1 desktop system. I don't run it max out because i believe It's too much for the pioneers to handle, or the plaster on the walls.

Point being (Besides an excuse to brag about the amplifier, sorry :oops: ) is you can pick up decent amplifiers that will compliment your speakers better quite cheap.

13. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea i've been thinking about picking up an old receiver or amp for the speakers at a pawn shop or something

More than 25k PPD
  14. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I've decided to just use my old car stereo. puts out peak 45w per channel at 4ohm, but is rated to power 8ohm speakers also, so it should power these just fine. I've got an old 300w computer power supply that can give it enough power for the 2 speakers, and with the RCA out on the back i can run my normal desktop speakers to it as well, though i probably wont need to...

and now pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you know... 180w. Just enough for the 45w x4 channels lol. though i'll only be using 45w x 2.

edit: got it all hooked up and rockin... only weak point now is my HD7850's rather poor audio codec

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    More than 25k PPD
  15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Re-purposing awesomeness. I want to hear your impression of the sound when you get it hooked up. Are you making an enclosure for the stereo?

16. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    my original plan was to make a semi portable version with the power hookup in the back and two 6x9s, one on either end, in a vertical position with the power supply and stereo in the middle in a box of their own. the whole thing would have a handle on top. but... my 6x9s are missing... and my other speakers needed a power source... sooo.... i have a new pc system now lol. they have a bit of a flat sound (if that makes sense) but that's a lot to do with my HDMI audio and the HD7850. I might put all the stuff in a old pc case, like a micro atx or something with a sub in it, there's a set of RCAs on the back i can output a signal to my current 2.1 system and have those going as well lol

edit: also... i can hear the bass outside when i go to check my mail :rockout:

edit 2: seems the unit is too wide to fit in a pc case... i guess i'll just build a box for it later... I think i might have the PSU mounted under my desk and the head unit at the edge next to my keyboard tray so i can adjust settings easy. will have to do that later tho... kinda broke right now. Still recovering from a car accident a while back (jul 23) and i just started back at work, though i'm still sore as hell. won't get my first paycheck till the end of the month due to their lovely bi-weekly pay. at least i get tips lol (though most goes in gas, i deliver pizza... in a jeep cherokee)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    More than 25k PPD
  17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Awesome :)

Not too sure if you need to worry but ive read about people having issues running amps from a pc power supply because the draw from the amp isn't constant, fluctuates depending on the volume, (Think the thud thud of dance music). So they put a capacitor of some some in-between to smooth out the draw from the power supply, similar to when putting an amp in a car. Not too sure if a car stereo will cause similar behaviour though, probably not now i think about it. (Forgive my non technical terms and description, i aint an electrician but you get what im trying to say :) )

When i delivered pizza at Pizza Hut i had a friend who used to use a Mustang, think it was an 05 plate, around that age. He was lucky to get upto 10MPG. Never got tips either for some reason :)

18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried onboard audio? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the HD audio sucks till you try the amp/speakers with something else

19. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    the hdmi audio on the 7850 has very basic drivers, about the only thing i can do with it is adjust the volume.

More than 25k PPD
  20. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    That's really only worth consideration with large (>12") subwoofers or when using multiple subwoofers. With two moderately sized speakers on a head unit, it's not likely to ever reach that extreme, especially considering they are 8 ohm speakers and will draw less current than the 4 ohm speakers the head unit is designed for. More likely you would blow out these speakers before you could ever raise the volume enough to cause the effects you are describing.

ste2425 says thanks.
  21. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Yea no power problems yet, speakers sound better now. Once i get some extra money ill get the adaptors and cables i need so i can use a better sound card

More than 25k PPD
  22. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Nice. All I noted is 'Made in USA' yay!!

23. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea you don't see that very often these days lol.

edit: i still have my old Gamestop HD selector that i can use to swap audio sources. it has a ton of RCA connectors on it for up to 4 devices.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    More than 25k PPD