1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Violate the laws of physics:Windows Vista DRM

Discussion in 'General Software' started by SpoonMuffin, Jan 11, 2007.

1. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    posted this here because it seemed like the most aproprete place, it effects hardware dirrectly as you will see if you read it.

please read the whole thing before you post uninformed comments!!!

thanks, and hi, my buddy told me this was a good place to hang out for tech heads :)
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have read this before, and past it on to everyone I know warning them about Vista. It's disgusting, why the hell should Hollywood control what we can and can't use?
    Plus if we buy a legit copy of a "protected" movie, but don't have the proper hardware we don't get what we paid for...yeah, that sounds right....
  3. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, thats exectly what bothers me, that and the fact that hollywood is in charge of vista security(they gotta signoff on any security software for vista) is that not insain?

im so glad i have windows 2003 sever, a buddy(one who sent me here) let me try his trial disk and after 20min (after install) i was hooked, its like xp without the buggs or bloat, its just plane faster!!!!

i have vista on a test box here, its ungoddly slow, slower then vectorlinux on my buddys p233mmx lappy(208mb ram 5.2gb hdd) and with enlightnment desktop it looks better o_O the gui isnt hardware accelerated at all yet is faster and looks better....whats that about?
  4. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    mickey mouse security!!!!
  5. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I TOLD YOU ALL VISTA WAS SH1T!!! MWUAHahahahahhaha
  6. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Casheti read it, you will see even more reasions vista is sh!t :)
  7. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not a big fan of reading. Can somebody summarise??? Oh wait I can do it...

VISTA = SH1TE :D

XP FOREVER (or until I get Mac OSX) :p
  8. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    xp, blah, 2003 forever!!!!!, and mac......fook that, if i have to i will use desktop bsd or vector linux or mepis or any one of the other linux distros my buddy has burned ready to mess with, neither of us "like" linux but we both hate vista lol
  9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    stay with XP...not OSX :p
  10. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love Macs. They are beasts.
  11. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehe, i will stick with my amd+2003, it trumps mac + intel :)
  13. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mac FTW :D
  14. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    note my siggy!!!!
  15. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol :p
  16. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only time ive ever used a mac, was when our scool had a lab of G3's. I hate them, cus they are slow, expensive, and were relatively hard to use (prolly cus im used to windows)

All apple products i see always lead to frustration for people that have them (that i know). Screens breaking easily, itunes screwing up, play screwing up....hence, no macs for me :D

EDIT - BUT i must admit, macs are good for ONE thing....providing some form of competition so MS doesnt totally monopolise the market :p
  17. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently changed from Win2k to WinXP, and after pulling out my hair for the last month, I'm almost ready to go back to Win2k.

Wim2k3, huh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  18. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Try a new Mac and say those things. lol They're a far cry from the days of G3s.
  19. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually, come to think of it, ive tried a G4 once...soo many problems, altho i hear the G5's are a lot better...
  20. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats why went back to 2k then moved to 2k3 when it was avalable!!!!

you may still beable to find the trial disk offer on ms page, duno now that vista lumes over our heads like a week old dead fish stinking up the place!!!!
  21. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    k thx. My main concern will be compatability; will everything (like games) work as well as in XP/2k?
  22. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, just follow the guide to set it up as a workstation(google windows 2003 workstation guide) there have been 2 games i had "problems" with and neither where the os's fault, doom3 you need a modifyed msi file to install(or just copy the content of the disk to ur system, its easyer) the msi is readly avalable with support for 2k3 as well as 2k and 98(i think 98 was added to the same one rofl)

2k3 is just an evolutionary step on nt5, 2k is 5.0, xp is 5.1, 2k3 is 5.2, the main diffrance between xp and 2k3 is that 2k3 when releced was acctualy finnished and not in a beta state, it took the extra couple years from the relece of xp because XP WASNT STABLE ENOUGHT OR RELIABLE ENOUGHT to work as a server os, infact the server side at the time of xp relece was horribly unstable, like windows me but worse!!!!
  23. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info, spoon. I'll look into this more closely.
  24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Its Microsoft... what else needs to be said?

LINUX FTW!

Funny, my Dad is still using Windows 2000 Server for his web servers......
    And Windows 2000 Pro for his personal computer P4 3.2 Extreme.....

Now he is redoing everything under Fedora 5/6 and Debian....
    Although he owns 25 licenses to XP Pro.... And has a free license for Vista sitting...
  25. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    i use 2k and 2k3 period, my shop got a good deal on 2k3 web licences from a company that went out of buisness, we also got their web servers, we converted and sold them as workstations, linus has its place, and its not on the common mans desktop, at least not till they get it to the point where its as easy to use and manage as windows, even the most "noob friendly" distros still have their querks where u need to use the old command line

vista is not about the common man its about ms catering to hollywood AND catering to their own greed, with vista they will beable to force those who buy online content to choose to use MS services to do so(kinda like iTuenes for video and the like) because they sure as hell wont support anybody elses protections, so if you have content thats considered"preimum" by nature it but isnt ms it probbly will be degraded so baddly u will have to buy a sepret player and screen that are capable of playing your content without problems IF you are stupid enough to install vista that is ;)

as to servers, 2k3 web server is VERY easy to use and VERY reliable, its 2k but easyer and more robust!!!!!(2k config can be a real PITA for some server uses)