1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Knoxx29, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Knoxx29, not everyone uses the same programs you do.
    Knoxx29, Aquinus and night.fox say thanks.
  2. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    exactly :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Touche, or me for that matter. I might have it disabled but I also run hardly any older applications.
  4. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    I Agree with you
  5. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    You are right about all what you said and I agree with it, for you didn't work maybe for me it will work, it's all about luck, till I don't encounter any issue I will leave it disable, and as you said if somewhere down road I encounter any issue than I will enable it once again...

Thanks for your advices
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    night.fox and Dent1 say thanks.
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I had several virtual machines running earlier in the day.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've had 10GB worth of VMs open before and haven't seen that happen. In instances when I had a Phenom II and 8GB of ram, applications would die if I can out of memory without the page file. So pardon me if I'm still kind of confused why that happens for you and not me. Not that it really matters, it's just a little peculiar from my perspective.
  8. leeb2013

leeb2013

Thanks Received:
    I disabled mine because I had an SSD, but BF4 crashed when using 7950 crossfire (not a single 7950). I re-enabled it and it was ok. I've not tried it again since getting a single R9-290. But at that time, BF4 crashed if you so much as looked at it!
    Knoxx29 says thanks.
  9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    about the windows generated PF, a specific memory of mine is that it was in c:\windows\ not the root & it was also exactly 25mb, i believe this particular one was win2k around 2007

for mechanical drives, dont mess around with all this disabling & enabling unless you have an empty partition to enable it on first thing so it doesnt get fragmented

for SSDs, keep the size small so you dont reduce the life (maybe this wont make a difference whether it writes to a 1gb or 10gb allocation if it's only writing 500mb)

since we're talking ONLY SSD, i guess disable until you have problems...

in bf3 beta i noticed something, CF on = higher PF allocation & more ram usage to the point of me running out... coincidentally i had bf3+PF+fraps video recording all on the same physical WD1002FAEX drive, the framerate was a complete disaster when i was on the conquest map :rolleyes:
    Knoxx29 says thanks.
  10. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of the issue with older application was because
    I don't have an SSD, I've never had an SSD. I played the BF3 beta and had no issue with PF disabled. I also run CF.
  11. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Compliment, still someone out there faithful to the HDD:respect:
    Dent1 says thanks.
  12. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I've actually run accross more advice than not to set 1024MB on the SSD (which in modern SSD'd is not gonna hurt the lifespan of it), because if a dump file needs to be created, that is where Windows will want to create it.
  13. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    So that's mean to leave it in default mode
  14. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Or just set it at 1024 minimum and 1024 maximum.
  15. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Having 16 GB ram maybe could be set it to 2048 minimum and 2048 maximum?
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    With that much memory you can tweak the system to run even faster, and be more responsive.

Perhaps one day I will do a write up on tweaking windows registry and system settings to maximize performance. But today is no that day.

First, leave your page file enabled, windows will use it to hold temporarily used files and programs when you load games and other large resources. Leave it on the SSD, set it to the size of your RAM, it acts as a protection as well for incomplete writes and changes, so if the power fails it can read it and correct issues, fault logs are written there for diagnostic purposes.

Second, disable kernel paging only if you don't actually plan on listening to reasonable advice by leaving a page file.

Third, leave your page file, as previously mentioned, some programs require it, and will CTD or have other issues when its not there, its used to prebuffer levels and get the file/textures/etc all laid out and in order.

Fourth, use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx and feel free to delete unneeded startup items, unneeded drivers that windows loads, and unessential bloatware.

Fifth, only use one anti-virus or anti-malware, its OK to have others downloaded but not installed, some paranoid people think if one is good more is better, its not and can cause interference with the actual security of the PC, and performance and stability.

Sixth, clean up, Crap Cleaner does a good job.

There are some performance tunings you can do, but windows does a good enough job when you have good stable drivers installed and no other issues. Short of creating a "Gaming" hardware profile there isn't a lot to do.
    rtwjunkie and Knoxx29 say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just leave it on system managed.
    Knoxx29 says thanks.
  18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I made added an addendum to your post. I hope I'm not being overly presumptuous.
  19. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I set mine to a static 4GB since forever. like when 512mb of ram was insane.