1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VisionTek 6970 or HIS 6970?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Ravenas, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Hey there,

I'm having trouble deciding between two graphics cards, which are the following:

VisionTek AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Graphics Card 900353

&

HIS Radeon HD 6970 IceQ Turbo 2 GB (256bit) GDDR5 2x Mini-DisplayPort HDMI 2x DVI PCI Express X16 2.1 Retail (RoHS) Video Card H697QT2G2M

I like the VisionTek for the lifetime warranty and the price. However, I've never purchased a VisionTek product so I'm not so sure about their products/drivers.

The HIS is nice but quiet pricey.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated! :toast:

2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Anyone?

3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    The visiontek is a standard, reference design card from the looks of it. That particular HIS has got "IceQ" cooling and those tend to be better in the perspective of cooling performance and sound production.
    400 dollars is a huge price indeed but those two cards are pretty extreme performance wise. Ferraris and Lamborginis are pricy too, compared to cars of lower price classes.

4. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any reason you're not using Newegg? The ICEQ card was $369 last I checked, and the reference cards around $340.

5. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Just took a glance on Newegg, and looks like they are all sold out, other than an MSI ref 6970. The ICEQ card looks really pretty. Anyone know how these 6970/s OC compared to the 6950?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, Newegg is sold out of most every Radeon 6970 (with the exception of MSI). Additionally, they charge me tax because they have a warehouse in Tennessee. Lastly, they charge shipping on most all of their products sold, whereas, Amazon gives me free two day shipping with an Amazon prime membership that I currently have (free of charge). Almost forgot, Amazon pays for the shipping back if I need to return.

To be more specific, I'm asking if any of you have been VisionTek owners? I've never owned one of there cards and its concerns me every time I purchase a product I haven't owned prior. Even if the product has a lifetime warranty! So how are VisionTek products?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Visiontek has always been good to me, 2600 pro crossfire & HD 3850 owner. Can't say the same for a 3870 iceq3

Ravenas says thanks.
  8. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    my visiontek 4850 was the hottest and most non-OCable card I've ever used. The newer series are probably better in general, but VisionTek left a bad taste in my mouth after I heard about how others were doing with their cards.

Ravenas says thanks.
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the insight, the reviews on amazon seemed quite mixed in general. However, the reviews on Newegg were fairly the same and people had nothing but praise for the card. I still haven't completely made my desicion yet.

10. Kofoed

Thanks Received:
    Im currently using a HIS 5870, It got the "iCooler" from HIS.
    It's not that good :p Atleast not in my card, at 45% fan speed, which is about where it gets too loud.
    It easily hits 80C, not overclocked. And only after 5-10 mins, in games like Crysis and Fallout.
    I never used Visiontek.
    But they changed the cooler from the "iCooler" to that fancy new one :)
    So can only tell you what the HIS cooler *Used* to be like. :)

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    My visiontek 5850 ref card will OC like a boss! 1000core 1200mem on almost stock 1.2V

fullinfusion says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Kofoed

Thanks Received:
    My 5870 running at 850MHz core and 1200MHz memory :shadedshu

Easily hits 80C, can even go abit higher at times.

13. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Im with Brandon on the Visiontek card. I've owned a few over my time playing with gpu's and imo they are a great clocking card. Every one I've owned clocked very well and never gave any problems at all. The only reason I don't have visiontek atm is the price here at a local shop.... way over priced.. but mabey you pay a bit more for the quality and warrenty :cool: