• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VisionTek Announces its Killer 2100 Gaming NIC

Suijin

Processor Q6600
Motherboard ABit P35 Pro
Memory 4GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 8600 GT
Display(s) HP 2207
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Enermax 750W
Software Vista 64 bit Ultimate
So what use does this "Killer NIC" have, again ?

I've said it before in other threads, that when they originally came out back in the single core days where you would use close to 100% of your CPU that they actually worked (Tom's Hardware reviewed one back then, they were still expensive for the performance increase). In today's terms if you are using 100% of however many CPU you have then you would be far better off getting a better CPU. Their only benefit is offloading CPU use.

D

Deleted member 84466

Someone needs to do a test to see if these specialized NICs actually have any difference compared to onboard Gigabit solutions. :p

They have. Here's one:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/bigfoot-networks-killer-2100-gaming-network-card-review/

There's a few other reviews out there, all of which are positive. More will be coming out soon too - I believe Anandtech has one coming up. I could have linked to a more glowingly positive one (which admittedly has more fancy charts and benchmarks), but I actually do think that one sums things up fairly reasonably between the benefits you get, the value of the card, and what that might mean for you.

Admittedly, prior versions haven't received such wonderful reviews, but prior versions suffered from drivers and a user interface that were ... well, less good, lets say. That is also why one of the posters here reported lousy LAN transfer speeds, because of a sacrifice in throughput over latency in old versions. The 2100 (and the Xeno because of a recent update) doesn't suffer from that issue now.

We (because I do work as the community manager for Bigfoot Networks, who designed the card itself) have done a lot to improve our internal development process and take the feedback we've had from our customers to create more solid products. So, it is our hope that you will be seeing these sorts of opinions on our products more commonly in the future.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
I know he was :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
They have. Here's one:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/bigfoot-networks-killer-2100-gaming-network-card-review/

There's a few other reviews out there, all of which are positive. More will be coming out soon too - I believe Anandtech has one coming up. I could have linked to a more glowingly positive one (which admittedly has more fancy charts and benchmarks), but I actually do think that one sums things up fairly reasonably between the benefits you get, the value of the card, and what that might mean for you.

Admittedly, prior versions haven't received such wonderful reviews, but prior versions suffered from drivers and a user interface that were ... well, less good, lets say. That is also why one of the posters here reported lousy LAN transfer speeds, because of a sacrifice in throughput over latency in old versions. The 2100 (and the Xeno because of a recent update) doesn't suffer from that issue now.

We (because I do work as the community manager for Bigfoot Networks, who designed the card itself) have done a lot to improve our internal development process and take the feedback we've had from our customers to create more solid products. So, it is our hope that you will be seeing these sorts of opinions on our products more commonly in the future.

Send one to Wizz for a review. If he says it worth while Ill buy one. So will half the members of this forum. With all due respect man you really have to sell this thing to us.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Personally, I'd like to see a price tag, perhaps a version for around $79 bucks.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Send one to Wizz for a review. If he says it worth while Ill buy one. So will half the members of this forum. With all due respect man you really have to sell this thing to us.

Seconded. That one review of this thing seems rather amateurish to me. Send one to W1zzard, then we'll take a good, long look at this thing and perhaps reconsider our opinions.

I've said it before in other threads, that when they originally came out back in the single core days where you would use close to 100% of your CPU that they actually worked (Tom's Hardware reviewed one back then, they were still expensive for the performance increase). In today's terms if you are using 100% of however many CPU you have then you would be far better off getting a better CPU. Their only benefit is offloading CPU use.

so does this means that any other add-on nic card will do the offloading from the cpu's? :)
i got some pretty old belkins add on nic from my old dell .. sitting around getting dust .. :)

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
so does this means that any other add-on nic card will do the offloading from the cpu's? :)
i got some pretty old belkins add on nic from my old dell .. sitting around getting dust .. :)

If the NICs you have offer offloading features, then yes. Most do not, though.

$

$immond$

If the NICs you have offer offloading features, then yes. Most do not, though.

With today's processors it almost not necessary. Quad - Hex cores pushed to 4ghz + aren't really going to gain much from these.

Last edited by a moderator:
$

$immond$

i think i'd rather just get shot in the face in the game respawn and go kill before they get a chance to regain there health or let the guy behind me finish the person off so i get the assist lol then spend 100 bucks on a NIC card for 6ms

The only people who will buy these are probably ricers. This NIC has as much use as a bodykit on a 92 Corolla. What a useless POS. Does anyone actually understand the protocols for networking? It will take more than a NIC to decrease latency, there are so many factors.

Id suggest you get your networking facts straight. Perhaps even educated on the protocols, just like it takes more than a bodykit and fart cannon muffler to make a car "fast" :rolleyes: (Most bodykits on ricers create drag anyways)

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_NetworkingFundamentals.htm

Very basic fundamentals.

(Sorry for the double post!)

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
With today's processors it almost not necessary. Quad - Hex cores pushed to 4ghz + aren't really going to gain much from these.

It isn't necessary for clients. It can be quite important on servers with multiple 10GbE links, though.

$

$immond$

It isn't necessary for clients. It can be quite important on servers with multiple 10GbE links, though.

Most servers aren't going to need a killer gaming NIC, Id personally choose something much more economical for a business application, and something more useful.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Most servers aren't going to need a killer gaming NIC, Id personally choose something much more economical for a business application, and something more useful.

I was talking about protocol offloading, which is standard-fare on server NICs, not about this "Killer NIC" which nobody needs, much less servers.

As for economical, server NICs can go for around 50$ for just the chip itself, and over 2k USD for a PCIe card, especially if we're talking about 10GbE devices. In servers which actually utilize 10GbE links, 150$ is chump change.

$

$immond$

I was talking about protocol offloading, which is standard-fare on server NICs, not about this "Killer NIC" which nobody needs, much less servers.

As for economical, server NICs can go for around 50$ for just the chip itself, and over 2k USD for a PCIe card, especially if we're talking about 10GbE devices. In servers which actually utilize 10GbE links, 150$ is chump change.

yes that is true but the cost to benefit ratio is what I am talking about.
$150 Killer NIC Cost>Benefit 100% useless.

Would you spend $150 for hood pins to make it seem your car is faster or, $1500 on a new throttle body and manifolds to actually increase power? Cost to Benefit ratio is allot greater with what you had mentioned for servers therefore it is more expensive but more economical in terms of benefits.

Its the principles, the Killer Nic is 100% useless IMO, unless your gaming on a rig from the year 2003, and even then Id put the money elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 84466

No disrespect taken - it is different, and I can completely get where you're coming from.

For sending one over to TechPowerUp for a review, I don't have a lot of control over that personally, but I'll pass the idea along. :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
No disrespect taken - it is different, and I can completely get where you're coming from.

For sending one over to TechPowerUp for a review, I don't have a lot of control over that personally, but I'll pass the idea along. :)

Well I really hope you do. Wizz (The owner) has a lot of respect and if he says its good we buy. :laugh:

Wow, came to the forum to read up on hopefully useful information on this card and so far other than "it's a POS (from those who haven't used one) to "everyone knows it sucks, just check! (from those who fail to link ANY evidence to these "facts" to "less ping doesn't matter" from those who PWN everyone they play against.

I know I'm putting myself out there to be shot, as a newb to the forums, but how about more facts (and I don't mean linking wiki networking fundamentals that don't mean shit when making your case against this card or others).

The facts are, as I can see them, that this is a card that will offload network processing from the cpu. If you have little of such, say you are only playing 1 game and doing little else and already have low locally introduced latency, then it's probably not needed. But what about those of us who do a lot of stuff while gaming? I'm quite often playing a movie or streaming broadcast TV to my PC via my Slingbox HD while playing WoW/COD4/etc and downloading from a newsgroup at the same time. Are you saying that an on board NIC, with no processing power of it's own, which has to be processed via the OS networking stack and handed back to the NIC has NO disadvantages over a NIC like this... assuming one can easily afford the premium? I find that hard to believe. I already see issues sometimes when the game action get's heavy and I have a lot of local network use active. I'd see no benefit?

I guess I'd love to see more evidence that these cards are the waste everyone says they are, with a bit less emotional drama and more specific details and especially review links stating so. Until then I'm going to withhold my opinions.