1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Visiontek RMA is not the most co-operative one

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Inioch, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Well guys, here's my sad story. I bought a Visiontek HD 4870 from a member here (great sales btw), about two months later the bloody thing started to artifact and crash in 3D. Well, after having RMA'd my Sapphire card earlier, I thought no problem, I'll just send it in.

Here started the problems, which just keep on coming. First I sent an email to visiontek support, and receive no response in a month. Then I look at their forums, where there's one helpful individual who checks up on peoples bogged RMA's. I registered and asked him what he thought.

Here's the killer on this one. I don't have a receipt for the card, and the seller can't get a new one because the store he bought it from says they won't give a new one, because the purchase is over one year old. So, I get told by the Visiontek forum mod, that unfortunately I can't get any support without a receipt.

This sucks balls, because I now thought I own an expensive paper weight. I decided to try once more with Visiontek support and email them again with the information. This time I receive a response asking for the same information + address. And here's the grand finale. After I reply, I got this message back:

"Unfortunately we can only ship to US or Canadian addresses. Please reply back if you wish to continue the RMA process with a US or Canadian address.

VisionTek RMA"

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Nice eh?

So, what do you guys think I should do? Just forget it, or is someone willing to help me out here? For example, if VisionShit accept it, be able to receive the RMA and then send it on to me, I would of course pay the shipping?

2. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should go through the rma and ask the person you bought it from to help you out, should be the best option since your paying for the shipping

Inioch says thanks.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well that really bites for you doesnt it. Each card Ive had to RMA back to Manufacturer wanted Proof of Purchase wether receipt, best Interest, Keep original Container and the receipt with it.

4. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was thinking too and I'll ask him to help first.

This was more of a story about how difficult it is to get RMA from Visiontek. Also, if for some reason the seller can't help me, I was looking for some backup plan.

I could also sell the card if someone is interested? Money back guarantee if Visiontek doesn't accept the RMA.

5. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you would get a lot if the person has to gamble but its just me, and you would have to price it really low imo to sell it

I hope the seller can help you out especially if you bought it here

6. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure I'll sell it if someone helps mw with RMA. But if someone is interested, I'll guarantee I'll buy the card back for the same price if the RMA is a no go. So no risk for the buyer.

7. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    My last messages with them went like this:

They:
    Me:
    They:
    So, in the end I got nothing out of them, and am the proud owner of an expensive paper weight or a very power hungry 2D card. At least I know never to buy Visiontek products again.

8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your card is over heating.... you may need to take the cooler apart to get the fins on the heatsync cleaned out...then you will need to reapply the thermal paste and assemble ..by doing this you void the warranty...at this point does it really matter as they so far are not honoring the warranty due to warranty restrictions. about 30 screws and you'll be able to remove the inner heat sync with the fins(if thats even the problem)(I bet it is).GL:toast:

9. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been running it with a custom cooling the whole time, so it's not overheating. I guess I'll have to try with lowered clocks at some point, but iirc it didn't help back when it started giving me trouble the first time.

10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should be able to check its serial number to see if it was in a batch sold to that store.

11. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was thinking, but no. After my last email, I have had no response from them and I've practically lost all hope.

12. mainomega New Member

Thanks Received:
    My first post...

You bought a used card and you modified it (custom cooling). Both of those void the warranty with visiontek. Maybe the card would have been fine with the original cooling and your custom cooling killed it.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  13. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know they do. It does that with Sapphire too, I had one of those die on me too. But after replacing the original cooler it was accepted to RMA without any questions asked. My custom cooling cept the card at around (load) 60c core, 70c mem and 80c vrm, while the stock cooler is at 80+ core and mem, 100+ vrm. So maybe the custom cooling didn't kill it.

They would have accepted the RMA with a proof of purchase, and shipping it back through a nice TPU fellow in Canada. But without the proof, they won't do a thing.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. They should honor it no matter where you bought it from. I would call them directly man. A voice over the phone is a lot more effective than an e-mail.

15. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    why complain??? It's bloody obvious that they will want a receipt, everyone wants it. you should ready get to know the RMA policy before purchasing any product.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    first of all, most stuff I keep the box with the receipt inside so when it comes time to send parts back i just do that. But to tell you, Visiontek and XFX have the best warranties in the Market for AMD parts.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude I have RMA so much crap in my life and not once have they EVER asked if I had a receipt if it wasn't EOL.

18. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's why I complain. I've RMA'd a lot of stuff and heard of many good companys regarding RMA, but this is the first time for me that they ask for a receipt.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Visiontek is a great company. I don't know why they are busting your balls so much. I've dealt with far worse. *Asus*

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    they may have changed policy, thats the one thing, any item i get, I keep receipt in case it breaks. I had a ATI first party product with 5 year warranty on it, well I gave them a Call because it was a miswrite on ATIs part, and stated the part was 3 years, they acknowledged my 5 year warranty on the part and actually processed my part, got new part and was on my way. Id suggest you try and call them, and be polite, otherwise if you are not you will not get the service you are asking for. The reason they are asking you for the receipt is to make sure you are the original purchaser of the part. Ive seen so many companies that do that, as warranties are usually not transferable unless otherwise specified. So the next time you get any computer part, keep the receipt. Also you may have to suck it up and take the loss on it. Just try to call them and see if anyone other than the Online person can help you out.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ditto.

22. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know, I try to do it myself too. Just in case and so on. Now, the one time I don't have it, they ask for it and I'm screwed.

I read an article about how much computer stuff is RMA'd and video cards were ridiculously high. Link There's a lot of nice stats there.

23. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    It seems I may have to suck it up.

But what really bugs me, is that Visiontek don't seem to read anything that the email actually says. I started very politely and made it clear that I have no receipt. They continued the process, so I thought that okay, they'll ignore it and just process the RMA. Then in the end they start asking for the receipt again. I mean come on, just read the damn messages instead of just using standard answer forms. Where's the service in that.

And calling that side of the pond ain't that cheap that I'd call them just to wait in lines.

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Usually if I can, I avoid E-tailers due to the failure rates of the parts they have. I suspect the storage practices they have are horrible, and not climate controlled (Components are supposed to be stored at certain temperatures). When a part breaks from a e-tailer, I don't jack around with them, I send it back to the manufacturer directly with a problem sheet that way I Know I am getting a known good part vs a part that came from the e-tailer that was from same shipment/batch and is Inop.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Tigerdirect is the WORST for that. I buy from them because I go directly to their outlets and I STILL get a lot of failures. Newegg has always been good to me however.