1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista & 3D Mark 2001

Discussion in 'General Software' started by xubidoo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. xubidoo

Thanks Received:
    out of boredom i thought id give 2001 se a run and i was depressed to find that my score is now 15k lower than when i ran a G80 8800 gts + win xp

is Vista really so bad at benchmarks or is it something with way vista is setup ? ,if it had been similer score id woudlnt have minded but 15k lower ?

any ideas ?

2. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I have the same card, tried the same and I'm 12k less than under xp64. But only maybe 200 points lower in 3dmark06 so it must just be the rather old benchmark app itself...

xubidoo says thanks.
  3. xubidoo

Thanks Received:
    last time i ran it on xp i got 54k now im getting 41k ish on x64 :(

ah well simply must be the app itself.,altho i am gettign 800 or so lower in 3d mark 2006 as well,but crysis bench performs almost identical to xp.

4. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it is a Vista issue alright. In 3DMark 2001 you can expect up to 30% to 45% drop, or sometimes more, depending on your CPU and the background load on the system while the benchmark is running. 3DMark 2001 is not a great GPU benchmark in the modern sense but it's a great raw system throughput measuring tool.

I have experienced the 3DMark 2001 performance drops both with ATI cards as well as nVidia ones. Half a dozen at least, of the ones I had since Vista came on the scene. Just the way WDDM layer works and the way legacy API's are emulated under Dx10.

Interestingly enough, performance drops are not limited to the Directx 8 (Direct3D) API but all earlier Dx API's as well, including certain subsets of Dx9 including D3D9 to an extent.

Dx10+Vista, great stuff, eh?!