1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista and XP, way to choose how to boot?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Atnevon, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I will be building a new computer soon. I was wondering if it is possible to hae both XP on one drive, Vista on another, share the same data folders, but have a way to choose which OS to boot up from the start.

I want to do this because I still want to use XP, but want Vista to optimize my Q6600 and software that Vista optimizes (DX10 games for example)

Is this easy, hard, or a burden. Also, could it be possible to have Vista on one HD, XP on another, and choose by opening the case and pluging different HDs up depending on what I feel like doing.

Thanks for your help once agian,
    Andrew

2. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think so. Just have 2 drives, and set up xp on C:. then install vista on D: (or whatever is the second drive's letter) I THINK this should work

3. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can do this on a single drive by partitioning it or two seperate drives its called dual boot im currently using it.

all i do is install xp on one partition first then install vista on the next partition you can then choose what to boot you get the option after bios screen either vista or earlier operating system (xp)

4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:

actually your absolutely right however unlike the post above keep them on seperate hdd's this makes sure theirs no .dll errors trust me dual booted for the longest time...