1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista annoyance removal guide

Discussion in 'General Software' started by oli_ramsay, Aug 24, 2008.

1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    out of all the tweaks I have already done, I have actually found another! nice one oli_ramsay!

1. Constantly Changing Folder Views

gonna give this a go now. so annoying! :p

3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    That's the exact same issue I had too. SO glad it's fixed now!

4. wolf2009 Guest

WOW, finally. Thats the biggest annoyance i have with vista .

Wish I could thank you more than 1 time :D

5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly what's been buggin me for months now.. Thanks!

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Great find a really interesting read a number i already new but the folder one sounds really good.

7. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty old for me.

8. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but still a good read mon :)

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I figured out most of this myself but a good read nonetheless.

10. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really like the intro to it, with all the links to articles about Windows Xp :D

11. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    realy cool thanks...but nothing on the winsxs hog..

12. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't do anything about the winsxs folder, except not installing anything, edit anything or updating anything ;)

13. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Ugh! I saw that yesterday. That was the most blatant and shameless Vista propaganda piece I have seen in months. Guy starts out on how he has no bias either way, yet he spends entire pages, I repeat, ENTIRE pages, going into why "Vista detractors" and various "Apple users" and "Linux users " as he puts it, are scheming evil morons.

He says: "I certainly don't have any reason to like Microsoft or create a free promotional piece for their latest operating system."

Well, Mr. Koroush Ghazi, that’s what it ended up looking like. A Vista promo. You even made a promotional Vista video and embedded into one of the pages. And the "Reasons to Use Vista" pages along with the page 3 "The FUD Factory" are just ridiculous propaganda. Poorly put together might I add.

Note: As per Mr. Koroush Ghazi: "TweakGuides Forums are not open for general comments on this or any other article here, primarily for quality reasons. "

Interestingly enough, the forums went down or were unavailable entire day yesterday, when the article when online.

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Except that everything he said about Vista is true in those pages. The negative aura around it is leftovers from it's crappy launch state. Almost all of those problems are gone now. Vista SP1 is more stable than XP SP3 for me, and the same programs are installed in both OSes for me. (With the exception of Vantage, as it doesn't run in XP anyway.) Those that bash it are generally doing so based on a launch experience, what their friends have told them, or they have no actual understanding of how the OS really works (in reference to those that complain about memory usage).

Have you spent any time with the OS in recent months? If not, then your opinion of the OS is useless.

15. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I dont have any Vista annoyances. Anyone know why? :roll:

16. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    tbh i up untill about a montha go i was a firm XP diehard :)

after upgrading PC and me wanting 4gb of usable ram ,i decided to take the plunge and try Vista x64 ,and now im so glad i did,very happy with it so far.

altho my other 2 PC's are still on XP Pro ,but imo i get best of both worlds.

i like Vista that much i even installed the latest Bricopack (vista inspirat (sp?) on my XP based machines,just so i feel at home when using them :D

17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

I'll take the 'generally', and exclude myself from it, as I've been using Vista every normal workday for over a year now.

I disagree with your statement about "actual understanding of how the os works" re: complaints about memory usage, and point to a very basic analogy. Does it really matter if you know exactly WHY your SUV uses so much more gas than your pet rice-rocket? The simple fact is, it does. The simple fact for Vista, is that it is MUCH more of a memory-hog than any of it's predecessors, even in a stripped state. It's plain, and doesn't need an indepth knowledge of the kernal, how Ram is addressed, or anything else to see that it uses more memory than its predecessor.

18. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    ROFL I had to look, lemon :). Running Server 2k3?? Ok... I'll bite that as a decent workings for Photoshop, etc. Do you game any with it? I'd be curious to see if it responds ok.

19. pagalms

pagalms

Thanks Received:
    Only annoyance i have, is CPU multiplier drooped from 11,5 to 5 while putting pc to sleep, and it doesn't sets back after wakeup. Voltage also drops down to 1,1 and stays.

20. lohoutlaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great find, Thank you for finding it.

I have also provided my other forum with this great link.
    All credit went to oli_ramsay for this find :)

21. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I game on it. It is 100% rock solid. Remember that 2K3 is based on code that is ONE STEP ON from XP. In fact, IIRC, XP64 and 2K3 run the same kernel. 2K3 just has "moar".

Ahhzz says thanks.
  22. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    XP rocks! :rockout:

Ohh, I read the topic as "Vista removal guide", never mind.... :shadedshu :rolleyes:

lohoutlaw says thanks.
  23. lohoutlaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it does matter why an SUV uses more gas than a rice-rocket. SUV's have bigger engines to allow for more pulling power. When's the last time you saw a rice-rocket pulling a 8000lb trailer?

Vista uses about 125MB more memory than XP when I strip the uneccesary services out of both, and turn off Superfetch. This is with the same exact programs and 3rd party start up items installed in both OSes. 125MB is meaningless. If you actually need those 125MB, it was time to upgrade your ram anyway. But I actually prefer to leave Superfetch on, and here is where knowledge of the OS comes in.

Superfetch caches parts of your most used programs in ram, making them launch much faster when you access them. That is why Vista seems to use up to 75% of some people's ram. It is actually using it properly, as a benefit to the user, not just to use it. And some people think that it will always use that amount of ram no matter what you do. Not true. the instant you launch an app that needs that ram Superfetch is using, Vista dumps it out of memory, and gives that space to the app. Turning off Superfetch actually makes Vista respond slower, all because Vista is no longer using that ram.

So my statement stands. those that complain about ram usage, have no idea how Vista works.

AsRock and Triprift say thanks.