1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista Complete PC Recovery--anyone used it?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DonInKansas, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting a new HDD and want to move everything from the old to the new. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64, which has this CompletePC Recovery deal that will image your HDD to the new one then can supposedly be activated by booting from the DVD and recovering the new image. Has anyone used this and know it works well? Any problems? Feedback appreciated.
  2. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Depending on whether your HDD is new, used, or OEM it should come with a diagnostic & tools CD and that will have a program on it that will do what you said about booting from the optical drive and the utility will copy your old data to your new drive. If you don't have the specific CD that comes with the drive you can just hop onto the manufacturer's website and download the utilities and burn them to a disk yourself.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    The WD tools are not Vista friendly. First program I've run across I've wanted to use that this is the case.

Has anyone used the Vista copy tool?
  5. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    try acronis true image home then if you dont want to pay for it just unistall it after your dun
  6. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to Acronis. Works like a charm.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I demand a disk. If they don't give me one for free, they're paying return shipping for the computer. I'm a tough customer. XD
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    u mean wd sells retail hard drives ? ,never seen anything other than an oem hd and never ever had a cd come with any ive bought ,which has been a fair few over the last few years :)

come to think of it ive never even gotten any screws to fit the things either :D
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Retail stores like Radio Shack carry the retail versions of hard drives with fancy packaging and the whole nine yards. It helps to move the product when they see it sitting on shelves. Most of the hard drives you get online are OEM because there is little to no demand for retail with online purchases. Most people that buy from those sorts of places have no use for the extra goodies they include.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I ended up using Acronis Migrate Easy. 15 day free trial is fully fuctional and I'm now working off my spanking new hard drive. Recommended for sure!