1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista not recognizing RAM?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mello_newf, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    Well Last week I was having problems booting my computer (turned out to be a fried CPU) so in the process of finding out what was wrong I took out all my RAM. When I got my new CPU I booted up but soon realized when I got into windows one of my 1GB RAM sticks wasn't seated properly so I shut down my PC and put it in properly. Now it says I have 4GB in my bios, cpuz, and everest but windows still says i only have 3GB??? Anyone had a problem with this?:banghead:

See attached image..

[​IMG]

2. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    go into your bios and enable 64 bit memory support (can't remember what its called in the bios extended memory or something like that) probably got disabled when you reset your bios when putting in the new cpu (i'm assuming you did that :p )

i had the same problem when i updated to 4gig

EDIT: I'm also assuming your using the 64bit version of windows (if your not you won't get the 4gigs)

3. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    Im using 32bit windows vista ultimate and it recognized the 4GB before... :confused:

4. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno how...

32 bit os's can only map to a maximum of 4GB of memory total (limitation of 32bit codebase).

That includes any memory on your graphics card(s) etc.

the reason your not seeing the full 4gigs is other memory is mapped before the ram and once the limit is reached it'll forget the rest of it (basically)

5. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    Just looked at a old screen shot and it was 3.5GB so it went down by about a half a GB. Shit looks like I will be installing 64bit then.... :shadedshu