1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista OEM

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Damian^, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard that you dont necessarily have to buy another OEM disk when building another computer or switching motherboards (which is what i am doing). Like you could call Microsoft to reactivate it or something like that, just don't tell them your using it on a different computer?

Does anyone know what exactly i have to say or do to just use the same OEM disk?
    I have an idea but..ehh not to sure
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just tell them the motherboard failed, and that you got a new one.

Reassure them that its just the one PC, and its because it was repaired.
    Damian^ says thanks.
  3. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool thanks man.
  4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it, I changed my complete setup, new mobo and all. Reformatted and still, I never got asked to activate it again or anything. Very happy about it too.
  5. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard was on it's way out, swapped it out (current 1 in sig) installed Vista, got asked to activate went through the process with no issues :)
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It will activate a few times without having to call.

How about this, I bought a lappy with Home Premium 32bit on it. The lappy was killed by my girlfriend spilling a glass of wine on it.

I borrowed my dad's Retail x64 Vista disk, and installed it on the rig in my System Specs, using the key on the lappy. It activated without calling.

Not only completely different hardware, but also 64bit instead of 32.
  7. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought I had read somewhere that vista was going to be hardware locked(oem version anyway) I take it that was a load of B/S :rolleyes:
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    OEM XP is supposed to be that way too, but it isn't either. Vista is just a little harder to have installed on multiple machines, from what I gather.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    sometimes its locked sometimes it isnt, pretty random. I think its 3 activations before they start nagging you to call.

32 and 64 bit are irrelevant to the key, thank god.... 64 bit ftw.
  10. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    well with retail vista disks, they can be installed on multiple machines, but with OEM you cant (well at least that's what i thought)
  11. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I didn't have to reactivate today going from AMD 5200+/Asus to MSI/E2180. Yay Vista!
  12. qamulek

qamulek New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought out of common sense that I could install both the 64bit and 32bit versions of vista on the same computer using one retail version. About two weeks after the dual boot intallation and activation I found both versions deactivated themselves. I re-read the EULA and found that you can't even install two versions on the same computer. Almost a month later and the 64bit version finally accepted an online activation, and I formated the 32bit version.

BTWWWW..... I used to like steam till I read their EULA. Although I don't cheat it scares me to think that steam can cancel your account[bye bye to all your games purchased] if they find you cheating in one of their online VAC games :twitch: Makes me like direct2drive a lot more after reading their agreement.
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    after i've played several games and had to suffer with online cheaters (mostly older FPS games, everyones played a CSS game with cheaters before) i'm glad they ban them. I'd never even think of using a hack on a legit game online, so i feel quite safe there.
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    My XP pro x64 installed on it's second machine with out issue's. IF the OS is of a company like DELL Compac it will likely be a different story.
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's not the disk that matters, is the license key.