1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista pauses in black screen between loading and desktop

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Studabaker, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, so I recently did a fresh install of the system due to moving to a RAID array. Well after I installed nVidida's latest nForce drivers I ran HD Tune a bunch of times and the result was the same every time, CPU usage had gone up and performance had decreased. So I did a system restore to before the nForce driver install and then put back the stuff I had installed in the time between, and now upon starting up Vista sits at a black screen between the 'loading...' bar and the Vista circle thing that comes up before the desktop launches. I move the mouse and press keys and nothing happens, it just locks up real quick and then suddenly continues like normal. I tried things I found on Google like setting explorer.exe back as the shell and unplugging all USB devices and nothing, installed my DeathAdder drivers and nothing. Anyone got a clue? TIA.

2. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Did you try to boot into Windows with Safe mode?
    When you said nForce drivers, did you mean the chipset drivers? Or Just the vga driver?