• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista Sales Up 47 Percent Since July

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
It's not just the bloat issues. Vista is such a mess. Some personal observations on my primary machine: 3DMark2006 is about 11% slower, 3DMark2003 is about 14% slower, and 3DMark2001 is 44% slower (19k vs. 34k). GLExcess runs @ 2-3FPS max, final score being less than 1k (vs. 26k on 2K/XP), this is due to shitty implementation of OpenGL. HD Tune benchmarks report much slower read/burst rates on my RAID0 (about 20% slower overall) and CPU usage is reported (in HD Tune) about 30% higher than 2k/XP (31% vs. 39% in Vista). WinRAR benchmark (3.71) also shows about 8% slower performance. Encoding with VirtualDub takes similar performance hits. Every game and/or applications either runs slower or it fails to run at all.

Also, you can forget about serious overclocking. On three separate machines (one of mine and two of various family members) I have run into problems with Vista and overclocking. For example, my primary machine (<-- info on the left) does not boot unless I take the overclocks almost back to stock settings. My CPU is just fine @ 3.05Ghz with 2k/XP (18+ hours Prime95 stable), best I could get Vista to boot with was 2.6Ghz.

Someone mentioned that 2k is XP. Yup, pretty much true. XP is 2k, just with a hallucinogenic lego color theme and fisher price interface and dialogs for the inept.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
What I don't understand is, what new CPU is coming out that will simply overpower that which is Vista? The only other CPU that's coming out after C2D is Penryn and the results from that are no were as dramatic going from P4 to C2D. So with Wolfdales do out next year there are no indicators that suggest that anyone will have the hardware that will cast a shadow of performance enhancements for Vista.

Even with the G100 and R700 do out next year they cannot help with some of the problems that Addsub descibed so we are back to square one. What I don't understand is why people are defending an OS which has obvious problems and will have a shorter life cycle then XP? Maybe if there was no other OS in the near future we would just have to deal with it but that's not the case at all. It makes me wonder if those who defend Vista so vigilantly are even aware that MS is working on a new OS?

B

bassmasta

I've had no problems with vista at all. granted, there are some programs I need xp for, but they are few and far between. vista works for everything I use more than once a week.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
It's not just the bloat issues. Vista is such a mess. Some personal observations on my primary machine: 3DMark2006 is about 11% slower, 3DMark2003 is about 14% slower, and 3DMark2001 is 44% slower (19k vs. 34k). GLExcess runs @ 2-3FPS max, final score being less than 1k (vs. 26k on 2K/XP), this is due to shitty implementation of OpenGL. HD Tune benchmarks report much slower read/burst rates on my RAID0 (about 20% slower overall) and CPU usage is reported (in HD Tune) about 30% higher than 2k/XP (31% vs. 39% in Vista). WinRAR benchmark (3.71) also shows about 8% slower performance. Encoding with VirtualDub takes similar performance hits. Every game and/or applications either runs slower or it fails to run at all.

Also, you can forget about serious overclocking. On three separate machines (one of mine and two of various family members) I have run into problems with Vista and overclocking. For example, my primary machine (<-- info on the left) does not boot unless I take the overclocks almost back to stock settings. My CPU is just fine @ 3.05Ghz with 2k/XP (18+ hours Prime95 stable), best I could get Vista to boot with was 2.6Ghz.

Someone mentioned that 2k is XP. Yup, pretty much true. XP is 2k, just with a hallucinogenic lego color theme and fisher price interface and dialogs for the inept.
Upgrade to a multi core machine, and see the difference. Vista actually uses multi cores more efficiently. And just because your OC passes 18hrs of Prime95, doesn't mean it's stable. You have a bad OC if Vista won't run on it, period.

I also have had no problems with Vista.

I 100% agree with those that say it's just like when XP first came out. Everybody was reverting back to their previous OS, because performance and hardware support sucked. It's no different with Vista.

And for the people complaining about resource usage, saying that it's a MS Windows thing, BULLSHIT! Every single new OS that comes out from any of the camps, be it OS X, Linux, or otherwise, uses more resources to achieve more features with every major revision.

I just installed Leopard on my iMac, and it uses about 30% more ram, just sitting idle. Even the latest versions of Linux are getting bloated (compared to older Linux distros). It's the natural progression of things. More features = the need for more resources.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Upgrade to a multi core machine, and see the difference.

Like I said in a previous post, and to quote myself: three separate machines (one of mine and two of various family members)

In fact one of the machines had a multicore Athlon 64 X2 5200+ CPU. There were severe issues with Vista even before I got to overclocking that particular system. There were serious issues with RAM timings @ stock settings. No such issues were experienced with WinXP SP2, which booted just fine. Interestingly, 2Mhz oc on the RAM would cause Vista to go into convulsions, while a nearly 30Mhz OC was perfectly stable on XP. Issues with CPU overclocking were even greater than what I experienced with other single core systems.

and just because your OC passes 18hrs of Prime95, doesn't mean it's stable. You have a bad OC if Vista won't run on it, period.

My stability testing process is quite rigorous and I used the Prime95 example as just that, an example. I use OCCT, Memtest86, 48+ hour long loops of GLExcess(mostly for GPU/VRAM overclocks), 3DMark2001/03/05/06 (mostly for personal performance comparisons), Passmark Suite(somewhat inconsistent but still decent). You name it, I've ran it, and ran it long and hard. The primary system in my profile is rock stable and has been at those settings for the past 14 months. As far as Win2k/XP are concerned at least (Note: various distros of Linux experienced similar issues with the overclocks on several of my test machines, including my media box and my primary machine. So, that’s another thing Linux has in common with Vista, aside from pointless and resource grabbing eyecandy)

As for XP, I did an in depth performance review on DSLReports.com (aka BroadbandReports.com) back in February 2002. And even then, in its buggy and unpatched form, with severe driver shortage, my tests showed a 1 to 5 percent of difference in favor of Win98SE, mostly when it came to 2D/3D performance. (A difference that is measurable even today, with fresher drivers) Although, I must admit XP did perform better in most CPU based computational/MMX tests. (vs. Win98SE) I still have the results/charts/data files archived somewhere. I could probably dig em up, for reference's sake.

The differences in performance are much grater between Vista and previous iterations of NT (2k/XP) than when compared to differences found in XP vs. 2k, or XP vs. Win98SE.

Oh, by the way, I haven't ran into a machine, single or dual core, with or without large amount of RAM that can run Vista flawlessly. Like I said, this is not a just about bloat.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
just because your machine is tuned for XP doesn't mean its best for vista

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Like I said in a previous post, and to quote myself: three separate machines (one of mine and two of various family members)

In fact one of the machines had a multicore Athlon 64 X2 5200+ CPU. There were severe issues with Vista even before I got to overclocking that particular system. There were serious issues with RAM timings @ stock settings. No such issues were experienced with WinXP SP2, which booted just fine. Interestingly, 2Mhz oc on the RAM would cause Vista to go into convulsions, while a nearly 30Mhz OC was perfectly stable on XP. Issues with CPU overclocking were even greater than what I experienced with other single core systems.

My stability testing process is quite rigorous and I used the Prime95 example as just that, an example. I use OCCT, Memtest86, 48+ hour long loops of GLExcess(mostly for GPU/VRAM overclocks), 3DMark2001/03/05/06 (mostly for personal performance comparisons), Passmark Suite(somewhat inconsistent but still decent). You name it, I've ran it, and ran it long and hard. The primary system in my profile is rock stable and has been at those settings for the past 14 months. As far as Win2k/XP are concerned at least (Note: various distros of Linux experienced similar issues with the overclocks on several of my test machines, including my media box and my primary machine. So, that’s another thing Linux has in common with Vista, aside from pointless and resource grabbing eyecandy)

As for XP, I did an in depth performance review on DSLReports.com (aka BroadbandReports.com) back in February 2002. And even then, in its buggy and unpatched form, with severe driver shortage, my tests showed a 1 to 5 percent of difference in favor of Win98SE, mostly when it came to 2D/3D performance. (A difference that is measurable even today, with fresher drivers) Although, I must admit XP did perform better in most CPU based computational/MMX tests. (vs. Win98SE) I still have the results/charts/data files archived somewhere. I could probably dig em up, for reference's sake.

The differences in performance are much grater between Vista and previous iterations of NT (2k/XP) than when compared to differences found in XP vs. 2k, or XP vs. Win98SE.

Oh, by the way, I haven't ran into a machine, single or dual core, with or without large amount of RAM that can run Vista flawlessly. Like I said, this is not a just about bloat.
I honestly don't understand where your issues stem from, then. I have had no issues with Vista that can be blamed on the OS itself. Not with overclocks, not with anything. The only real issue I had was a BSOD at boot with Cats 7.2 (iirc), and that was ATI's fault. As far as gaming, my in-game settings are identical between the 2, and Vista doesn't degrade the experience in any way. In fact, I actually saw gains in a few titles. GRAW jumps to mind immediately. Most issues I ran into, I caused myself by messing with things I shouldn't have.

I take that back, I did have one problem with Vista. I had extraordinarily long boot up times at one point, on a clean install. We're talking 15min boot times here. Messed with it for a few days with no results. Re-installed and the problem was gone. Seems I just had a bad install that time around. XP does that upon occasion too, so I don't really think it's a Vista problem so much as a general Windows problem.

And I stand by my statement that you don't have a stable OC if Vista (or Linux for that matter) won't run it. Again, no issues here on that front.