1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista Vs. Windows 7 for Stability???

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 20mmrain, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows Vista. But I've already heard of a lot of stability issue's. If you were me would you do it? That's my first question. My second question if there are people in these forums that are having problems with Windows 7.... What are they. Also just give me your opinion which one is more stable if you've used both.
  2. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Everyone is going to spam 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! , I... Didnt like the RC, So im waiting. stability was not there for me. Maybe i should buy the retail now and then speak.. But the rc.... Nope. I had many head pounding exercises.
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I would Fold, play games and have my computer on all night long and its been fine. If thats not stable then what is?
  4. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I've been running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit since Halloween(not that long), but its been perfectly stable for me. Vista was stable for me as well when I used it, more so than XP for some odd reason.
  5. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should read the whole post... Maybe you had better luck than me? Im not arguing with you, I am stating my experience with it..... Isn't that what he asked?
  6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    See that's why I wanted to bring this up. I've been reading that most people love Win7. But I've also been reading about a 1/4 of the people have been having problems. For example BSOD on install, Games not working, Drivers not working, and so on.... Maybe it's only certin hardware manufacturers causing this maybe it just flaws with Win7.... I don't know. But I'm trying to get a better grip of what is going on before I place my order.

Don't get me wrong while Vista has treated me well so far.... I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb. SO I'm getting ancy to switch
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Been using 7 since the day the RTM was released, haven't had a single crash, Win7 is extremely stable.

Though I have very few crashes with Vista, actual OS crashes were rare the ~1.5 years I used it. Most of the crahses were caused by unstable hardware, or messed up drivers.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Yea, many apps i tried to use did not perform correctly. And like i said, most have had much better luck than me, But i did not have fun using it. I think you would be ok though, If 75% of people are cool with it go for it.
  9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm leaning towards it.... I think I just need a little push. But you know I just looked at your RIG specs and I'm surprised! It's not like your out dated at all my man! I wonder what the problem was......

Other thought from people that used WIN7. Does it have that annoying automatic driver donload setup like Vista had??? For instance it would try to load a generic GPU driver with out even asking you??? I hated that! Or excuse me it would ask you but if you had a million other updates you might not see it.
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Vista SP2 x64 and 7 x64 feel about dead-on even stability-wise and even performance-wise for me. If Vista Sp2 works good for ya, and you're content, you don't NEED 7 for really any major reasons I can see...some things are nicer, but what's actually noticable and what's not leaves some to be desired.

Now if you're going from x86 to x64, I noticed more difference in both Vista nd 7 stabilty-wise, x64 for me is much more stable in both of the operating systems.

:toast:
    20mmrain says thanks.