1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista woes

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Juggalizzle, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Juggalizzle

Juggalizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok folks, I need some expert help here. This is gonna be kinda long so bear with me.

All my specs should be on the left there.

Ok...I had this system up and running just fine with xp pro. I installed vista and disaster struck. After installing vista i had a display but vista was giving me an "error code 43: Device is not working" error in device manager. Vista was using standard VGA drivers and I had video and the s-video out was working on my 8x 256mb agp ati radeon 9550 but I didn't have vista's aero. OK...so i installed catalyst for my card and vista, which installed fine, but i was getting an error either from vista or catalyst (don't think it said which) saying "there is no video adapter installed on this computer". grrrrrrr....i uninstalled catalyst and the adapter with the error code in device manager. Scanned for new hardware, vista found it as the correct adapter name and said i needed to reboot. Great! On reboot it went through the standard bios stuff, said windows loading, screen went black, heard the windows login screen come up, hmmm...typed my password, heard the windows startup sounds, screen is black. :eek: Ok fine! removed card, put in an old GeForce (64mb) restarted...worked fine. shutdown, cleared cmos, put card (radeon) back in still black screen after windows loading.

I have spoke with ati and after a couple of days of them telling me to do this and that (after I already told them i tried it in the correspondance in the first place!), btw do they actually read what u say or just pick out a keyword and send a standard response? They say that the card is compatible with vista and the native drivers should work. Must be a MOBO problem.

I spoke with mobo people (pcchips) and they said their m848a v5 board is fully compatible with vista. It must be a card problem. There is no bios update, chipset update or updated SiS accelerated graphics port drivers available or needed. Vista has the newest versions of all drivers already.:banghead:

I know, scrap vista and go back to xp...well i don't wanna! Can anyone help me out? I don't wanna purchase a new card if i'm gonna have the same problem nor do I wanna purchase a new mobo to have the same problem. My wife would kill me anyway since i just spent several hundred dollars on vista home premium and some hardware.

2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres something wrong with that 9550 you have. Anyways 9550 is enough to run aero. I gotta admit, they should put the "vista compatible" sticker on the 9550s now.

3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what version CCC you using? Check WINDOWS update for new SiS driver, should solve problem.

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Juggalizzle

Juggalizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Works in other systems and on this one before i put vista on

6. Juggalizzle

Juggalizzle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Correct according to PCChips the drivers included with Vista are all that are needed. From what I gather people are saying that it is a mobo issue. Unfortunatley it affects ALOT of them. Unless you are running a vista certified equipment you are screwed. My real question, besides a solution, is how to get the standard vga adapter installed. If the card is in the system i get the black screen. It was working at first with a standard vga adapter it was just in 2d mode but my s-video out was working. I can deal with that for now.