1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista64 or XP64?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by bigenuffumbrella, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    Lol at the responses on here.. heavy photography doesn't rely on a good memory subsystem at all :rolleyes:
    Using XP you might as well go back to 98SE, from my experience XP64 was unstable and driver support was shocking. I cannot say the same about Vista64, at all!

2. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I finally wound up doing...

Well I tried XP64. Because I already had a copy and didn't have to spend any more money I really really really wanted it to work. But too many things wouldn't or didn't and so...with heavy heart and soon after lighter wallet...I went to Sam's Club and bought a copy of Vista.

I kept my receipt...because I just KNEW this wasn’t going to work…but I figured what the hey I’ll give it a shot.
    Taking some advice I had googled earlier in the week…during the install I only used 2gigs of RAM. Once Vista64 was installed, AND PATCHED (that’s important)…then I put in the other 6 gigs in for a total of 8.

So far…and at this point everything is installed, games, apps, yadda yadda…I have had almost no problems what so ever. In fact the only program that seems to be argumentative is iTunes (it says I can’t burn disks and to reinstall the program)…I strongly suspect updating the bios of my DVD burner might fix this.

All in all…I’m very pleasantly surprised. The IP35 Pro board I used is WONDERFUL! (3.9 out of 4 stars) The easiest motherboard to set-up I have ever used. My Q6600 OC’d to 3.0 with just two adjustments. The only reason I wouldn’t give it 4 out of 4 stars would be the odd way the sata controllers sit on the board. Because of the way it sits, if you go with a IP35…make sure to have a full and not a mid tower case. I’ll be getting a new case soon…my Antec Sonata Piano is just getting too cramped.

Anyway…so far I’m doing ok and liking Vista64 very much. I can tell no difference between it at the 32-bit version--with the exception that there is a X86 program files folder for 32-bit programs. Operations-wise it works great. Everything starts and runs like it's amped up on Red Bull and constantly drinking Starbucks. Vista is still way too expensive, and it really does love RAM, but right now RAM is cheap and like many have said…Vista-like it or not-is the future.

Thanks to all who commented for their help.
    BigE

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    Start batch editing dozens of large format pictures, an SD card full at time, and you might change your mind.

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I really wish people would stop saying XP64 is unstable. It isn't anymore! SP2 fixed everything, and it uses the same drivers (the only difference is the inf file) as Vista, so driver support is as bad as Vista 64.

bigenuffumbrella says thanks.
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I got the exact same problem with iTunes on Vista x64... let me know if u fix it :toast:

6. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll post it in here if I find it.

phanbuey says thanks.
  7. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dark, it's not that XP64 is unstable. With SP2, you're right...it's rock solid. But, and I can now say this from experience, the driver support is not as through as Vista's.

I know. It pains me (and my wallet) to say it, but it's true.

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    X64 had no problems for the 18+ months i have used it. All though i don't use scanners or printers which is were a lot of people seem to have issue's.

Sure there's been issues but nothing not fixable thats for sure for me.

9. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    its not xp x64 that is unstable its your system, xp64 has exacly the same kernel as windows server 2003 x75 and its the most stable one

Vista x64 has little problems
    now that SP1 comes soon it will be updated to better handle memory
    64-bit is a MUST for more memory than 2GB anyway
    i hope you system likes 8GB memory, not all system runs stable with that amount :)

10. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Dell 1710n laser works great. My Epson R280 is the same. Both of them had XP and Vista 64 drivers. So for me, printers were never an issue.

11. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you wiak. It seems to LOVE IT! This Gskill memory (see my profile for the exact model number) absolutely rocks! I've read where people say during operation it's actually cool enough to touch...I'm not brave/dumb enough to try that. ;-)

For the amout of RAM you get the price and performance are just fantastic. I got mine at NewEgg if anyone is interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231145

12. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    +1

13. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    to bad am not in us ^^

14. bigenuffumbrella New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that is too bad man. :ohwell:

15. aarathi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Using XP you might as well go back to 98SE, from my experience XP64 was unstable and driver support was shocking. I cannot say the same about Vista64

16. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The itunes issue stems from itunes not including a 64 bit driver for burning cd's.

Explained here.
    64-bit driver here. (get Driver_Installer_AMD64_EM64T.exe)

phanbuey says thanks.
  17. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!

yeah... it works!!! :rockout: thanks!