1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VLI Designs New Performance USB 3.0 Flash Drive Controller

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 16, 2010.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    VIA's subsidiary that deals with cutting-edge technology devices (while its parent company works on proven/stable technologies) VLI, is out with a new SuperSpeed USB 3.0 flash drive controller, the VLI VL750, that lets manufacturers design flash drives with transfer speeds of over 100 MB/s at cost-effective price points. The controller connects USB 3.0 to a 30 nm class or 20 nm class NAND flash chip. In USB 2.0 mode, the controller still supports transfer rates of up to 35 MB/s. Other notable features of this controller include support for USB-attached SCSI Protocol (UASP), Bulk-only Transport (BOT), wear-leveling that minimizes reduction in stability over time, and ECC to minimize data errors caused by hardware faults. The new chip is currently sampling, with the company designing a reference-design flash drive driven by it. Flash drives based on this shouldn't be too far away.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Very cool, my next USB flash drive will be USB 3.0.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    same.

i'm waiting on ones that arent too big and chunky however, i have no USB 3.0 front ports so i need something that can nestle in amongst all the other cable crap at the back of the case.

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Worth it, even with USB 2.0 ports. In a 2.0 port, mine writes twice as fast as my fastest USB 2.0 drive.