1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

volmgr error

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by prescient, Jul 9, 2014.

1. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    after i disabled page files i have volmgr errors and i guess a short freeze or 2 to desktop. should i enable it again or the error will go away ?

2. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Don't disable the pagefile there isn't really a benefit and stuff can go wrong

3. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    yep i was told games wont use page files if it was disabled as many hardcore gamers do .
    but i got those error messages and freezes now ive set min and max to 2gb errors stopped and the pc felt faster

4. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    its usually a matter of set the page file to a nice big size and have that as the min and max..
    most slow downs come from windows making it larger as it is needed. a fixed value of say 4-6gb should be more than enough so windows never has to re size it.
    but obviously you use up that much hard disk space.
    also only have it enabled on one hard disk.

things only use the page file if they have to or are designed to... so if it would run faster withut page file.. it just wont use it any way. and as you found out some stuff will use it or try to regardless.

5. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    i really dont think disabling page files is a good idea . it made win 8.1 very unstable
    beside the above error it prevented windows from booting

[​IMG]

i was advised to shrink it to 2 gb . 4 gb is better ?

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Windows and other applications are designed to look for and use the page file, disabling something that was designed to be utilized is a bad idea. I use AUTO anymore. Not worth messing with, Windows knows what it needs and how much it wants to use. 8.1 appears to be very good at handling it. I used to remove it or put it on a different HDD back in the XP, Vista, 7 days...and honestly since 7 it's been a waste of time and caused more issues than not.

Windows will try to do 1.0-1.5X your installed RAM for a page file. Some go with 1GB when they have 8GB+ RAM. I recommend letting Windows handle it and move on to enjoying a stable system.

:toast:

7. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    the larger it is the less likely windows is to need to make it bigger, and so the less likely it is to slow down

8. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    one said its related to my ram not being stable . but then again his not using 2400 ram .
    he wanted to see a mem86 test or prime95 but i dont have a bootable drive and scared to use prime95 on stock cpu fan