1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Voltage control via software

Discussion in 'ATITool' started by pumpkin0, Jul 8, 2006.

1. pumpkin0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I´m trying to find out which (older) ati-radeons can be voltage moded via software. Powerplay seems to be the key, as it can lower the voltages under windows. Is the protocoll used for this already documented ?

Hint: i don´t want to overclock/volt. I want to underclock/volt a old/ancient radeon (which cannot cope with recent games anyway) for a slient notebook. Currently it´s a radeon 7500 inside a R51.

I guess the developers of tools like ATItool use Powerplay/the driver to find the right IO-ports for changing the frequencies. So voltage modding should just be another port... That´s why i´m posting here.

Thanks.

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    only th x1xxx series has software voltage control in the ati line.

3. pumpkin0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 7500 (codenamed M7) can change the voltage via powerplay:
    http://www.ati.com/products/MobilityRadeon7500/features.html
    The rest (M 8500, 9xxx and up) should be able to do the same trick. But nobody in the 3´rd party tool world seems to use it. My guess: so far nobody hacked that part of powerplay....

And my 2. question: how did poeple hack the change-the-frequency IO-ports ? Are there any tools to do it ?

Thanks