1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Voltage setting

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by BarbaricSoul, May 12, 2014.

1. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I'm new to SB-E OC'ing, and I noticed something with this I have never seen before. I have my CPU core voltage set to 1.4 volts, but CPU-Z is showing it's running on 1.432 volts. I'm used to V-drop, where the CPU gets less voltage than the setting is set for, but V-raise? I've never seen this before. Any explanation as to why I'm seeing this? Check my system specs for full hardware details.

Here is my current settings and CPU-Z results-

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Ruyki

Ruyki

Thanks Received:
    Some motherboards have a bios setting that boosts CPU voltage when it is under load. ASUS calls it CPU load-line calibration.

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  3. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure how accurate CPU-Z is in regards to voltage. Probably better to use something like HWMonitor, AIDA, HWinfo, etc to get a better read on what your CPU voltage is.

4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Load Line Callibration? Depending on the setting it can boost the voltage higher than the voltage you set.

Your board probably has certain levels you can choose from. The maximum will boost voltage higher than you set usually.

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    On My P9X79 Deluxe, the BIOS lets you decided how gung ho you want the these things to run. Higher LLC levels will subject the CPU to higher voltages and in turn, a greater chance of voltage spikes when load changes.

I recommend resetting to stock and work from there. Focus on one component at a time. I'm curious though, what's your idle voltage at stock speeds when everything is set to auto and nothing is being overclocked?

6. SKL_H

SKL_H

Thanks Received:
    On my P8Z77 its the same story I set 1.2 and I will get 1.26 in CPU-Z, I think that 0.0x volts is the tolerance, and it can just be ignored.