• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Voltages?

Shinjion

Okay, well i remember i made a post here not too long ago, few days ago; Hi again guys. :D I received and installed the new power supply, and i was just wondering. I was told to "watch my voltages"; i have SensorsView which tells me the voltages, what should i look for and how do i know what voltages are good or bad? <--noob :cool:

Namslas90

Okay, well i remember i made a post here not too long ago, few days ago; Hi again guys. :D I received and installed the new power supply, and i was just wondering. I was told to "watch my voltages"; i have SensorsView which tells me the voltages, what should i look for and how do i know what voltages are good or bad? <--noob :cool:

Make sure all voltages remain within +/- 5% of rated value.
Example 12v+0.6(5%) = 12.6 v
12v-0.6(5%) = 11.4 v
With no load the volt will be higher, on full load the volt will be lower; IT should always remain within the 5% range with a QUALITY PSU. ( May go as high as 7%, or more on a POOR quality PSU.)

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
You could also if you like, if you happen to have a volt meter, test the PSU externally to see if it is within the range. Though usually sensors are fine.

Shinjion

Okay, thank you very much, nice and easy to understand. And no i don't have a volt meter. :( Guess i'll have to stick with sensors. Thanks alot guys! :love:

Namslas90

Okay, thank you very much, nice and easy to understand. And no i don't have a volt meter. :( Guess i'll have to stick with sensors. Thanks alot guys! :love:

Sensors are not that accurate, so be careful. The sensors could be OFF by 5% also; A Meter is not that expensive, when you get a chance get one. Main thing is to notice big changes, so take screenshots of readings now (or make a note in notepad) for you to compare with later.