1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VPN networking capabilities?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by johnspack, Jun 27, 2013.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I just discovered this a few days ago... set up a vpn with the server I manage in MD from here in BC Canada. First I set up a network share using the vpn server's ip, didn't know about that at first. Enabled sharing, now have access to the server's contents as a mapped network drive on my local. Next, enabled internet sharing on the server, I now can surf from the server's external ip in MD. Way faster than anything I've tried before. I'm still learning network stuff... what else could I do with this. And what security holes might I have to plug up on the server as a result? I look after this server for my boss, and I like to play... and learn.
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Host to host VPN you're pretty limited on use cases. Really it just secures communications between the boxes.

To make it more secure, you could use something like openvpn with ssl encryption, with certificates for authentication.
    Another option is IPSec which is built into Windows Servers, and openswan on Linux. For that use a very long password for authentication, or better a certificate.
    johnspack says thanks.
  3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    hybrid, iPsec is also available on Linux. Just saying. I don't know much about networking though.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep. openswan is one of the better implementations :)
    Chevalr1c says thanks.