1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VRM cooling required or not on Asus M5A97 R2.0

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by itsakjt, Jun 16, 2014.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    So I got a Cooler Master Seidon 120V today and successfully overclocked my Phenom II X4 980BE to 4.1 GHz apparently stable so far and the CPU temperatures are under control. I have an Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. When I touch the VRM heatsink, it feels like 75 degree C while running prime 95 in small FFT mode, max heat and power consumption. Is it ok to keep this overclock 24/7? Or should I consider cooling the VRM additionally?

2. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    I'd cool the VRM just to be on the safe side, since it can't do any harm. :)

itsakjt says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try rigging a fan to hang or lay near the VRM and continue testing and see if it drops or not!

itsakjt says thanks.
  4. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your replies and suggestions. The thing is how can I fit an additional fan? As in mechanically? Will there be any damage if I continue running like that?

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Without an image of the chassis in question it is tough to say how and where to place the fan, or what size fan will even fit. I would think you could use the holes in the mesh or the fans at the top of the chassis to wire a fan in place, or just lay the case on its back (typically the right side), and just lay a fan over the AIO and large heatsinks blowing down at them.

6. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am attaching the pic. I have a very bad chassis now and you can see how the radiator is mounted. It is held by one screw and a cable tie fastened tightly. I will buy a chassis when I have saved enough money but in here, how can I fit one? To be honest, I prefer to make the VRM cooling motherboard dependent than chassis dependent.

[​IMG]

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    sneekypeet and itsakjt say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
  9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    if you bought the Retail 980 BE, use the stock fan and screws and screw it to the heat sink on the VRM. That is what I do. It might sound like a jet engine ready to take off if you plug into a header that doesn't control the speed, in that case use a fan controller too.

itsakjt says thanks.