1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

vsync frame limiting, is this true?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by hat, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Saw this in an article about adaptive vsync:

I'm not quite sure whether to believe this or not. I've been gaming with vsync on for many a year and I never saw framerates drop from 60 straight down to 30. I never felt such a drop, and I never saw anything like that any of the times I used a tool that showed me what my current framerate was. I didn't always have powerful hardware either... I gamed on a damn 8500gt for a while with vsync on, you'd think if this were true about vsync my framerate would have been tripping over itself all over the place.

Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would assume its plausible, but even then I would think it to be card and game specific (as in not all cards and all games react in the same way).

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    VSync implementations vary between video cards, their vendors, and the software being used. Dead Space used to cap at 30 FPS with vsync on even though my card could do 90 without vsync on (at the time.) Have you tried setting the application to "VSync off" and using nVidia drivers to force VSync on to see if the driver-level setting has any difference?

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the quote from hardocp is completely correct and applies to all hardware based vsync mechanisms.

basically the card waits for a flag from the display output logic "image redraw complete", and then sends the next frame. if it misses it due to longer rendering time it has to wait until the next "complete" which is one frame later (1/60th + 1/60th = 30 FPS). if it misses that too it has to wait again (1/60th + 1/60th + 1/60th = 20 FPS)

Frogger, hat, sneekypeet and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is why I play with vsync off on all but really old games. Huge performance hit most of the time. It's damn near useless. I tried that new thing from nvidia in inspector where you just set a cap but you still get tearing.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    IIRC that is because without vsync, frames are written directly to the framebuffer where vsync is active it is loaded and buffered into the framebuffer then it is displayed. VSync should only impact performance if you're rig isn't handling the game well to begin with. Any machine that does 60fps+ should show improved image quality and smooth gameplay from VSync being activated (not to say >60 FPS isn't smoother (@60hz that is) but you also won't run your machine over your refresh rate so you really can't see it.). I also never noticed the 20, 30, 60 fps issue with my 6870 in or out of crossfire. As for crossfire, I don't drop below 60 FPS and I find that micro-stutter is less noticeable with vsync on.

7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You set a frame cap (Common - Frame Rate Limiter - On), but you aren't using Adaptive Vsync (Common - Vertical Sync Tear Control - Adaptive), and of course turning on Vertical Sync in the first place (Common - Vertical Sync - Force On)?