1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

W1zzard - Time For a TPU 'facelift' ??

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by FreedomEclipse, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Duly noted.

Sorry das.dude. Just havin some fun. I'm fat. There we are even. :laugh: :toast:

Anyway on topic I don't wanna spend a bunch of time on a new layout if there is no need. Its a waste of everyones time IMO.

Chevalr1c and de.das.dude say thanks.
  2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a reason to change...the site functions as it needs to...Anyone else thing guru3d.com now looks like TPU's front page?

I mean, I am open to change, but..I guess I am not sure how much you can really improve on this site....given what it does.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    oh well. Yet another "if it aint broke..." result like always :(

4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I like the way it is, very easy on the eye and not confused, i like the vote option someone mentioned but please keep a focus on clarity and ease of viewing:D

5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Freedom I think you are taking it the wrong way, sometimes change can be good and other times it isn't welcomed for various reasons. I think most people have become accustomed to the streamlined layout we have here. There is no fluff, no flashy colours to distract you. Everything is intuitavely organized and the colours are easy on the eyes while providing enough contrast to make evrything easily ledgible. It's a professional layout, not a gamer/kiddie layout :eek:

I'm not saying a change wouldn't be good/welcomed but I would hope it to be "tastefully" executed.

My $0.02 anyways but I'm just a simpleton anyways so yeah....

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    So delightfully bad, I now have a headache and some vomit on my button-down.

Perhaps W1zz now has an idea for April 1st.

9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    just upgrade the forums. dear lord this isnt 2004 anymore...

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    While I like change, the look tpu has now is just so good. I'm open to changes but it has to retain a professional look

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Wish it was.

damric says thanks.
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Not just you.

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The forums don't look very professional now imo. And it's quite a big difference between the main page and the forums, and I think that is a problem.

14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i would like to say the following.

just because i can walk and chew gum and shit at the same time doesnt necessarily mean i want to do them at the same time :pimp:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  15. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    So here is my 10c

One of the BIGGEST draw cards for me - IS the stark simplicity of TPU.

All this frivolous schling and bling and rounded edges on everything just makes a site cluttered and messy - yes square boxes are so 10 years ago - but do you know why? because they have worked perfectly for over 10 years delivering the content flawlessly, understandably and clearly. They are fast and low data, waste little space on screen, and are functional.

I also DO NOT OPPOSE CHANGE - I only think that change should be the result of necessity, a form of natural evolution, not the bastardized result of pointless need to look like the cool kids, even at the cost of function - and to this end I site another of my other favorite sties, Gizmodo, who's redesign and new policies have been an ongoing abortion.

Many articles don't even GET comments anymore because nobody could even be bothered to work their way through the new terrible comment system and account verification.

I don't even bother to log in or comment there anymore because even if you DO comment nobody will ever see it because of how badly the comments are laid out.

As to what Mr Frick says - well to me the forums look like .. FORUMS what do you want them to look like?

This is not an interior design catalog, this is a technical forum, and it looks and works like one so why fuss with it?

Maybe I'm just scared - from being burned by so many other site redesigns that have ended in a total fustercluck - and ruined another of my favorite web hideouts, and maybe I should be more trusting of the far superior TPU gurus who would work on this potential redesign, but I have just been burned so many times... it is hard to trust at all anymore... just the word "re-design" makes my skin crawl.

Anyway - that's my little rant - I suppose if someone does want to work up a new layout concept there is no reason NOT to put it to a vote.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU is based on vB 3.8 with customizations. It works well. Once you TURN OFF signatures and other visual garbage, the forum looks a lot better.

I run a vb 4.0 forum with customizations. vb4 is now at 4.2. I haven't upgraded because of the NIGHTMARE of the way vB has evolved and how all the hard work falls over through an upgrade.

vB4.x looks much nicer than vB3.x but I wouldnt want to wish an upgrade on even my worst enemies. vB5.beta looks even better. But never in a million nevers would I advise anyone to go vB5 until it is fully "settled". It took vB4 more than 2 years to get there.

I think w1z is open to change, but choosing the right timing to change is an important strategic choice. Now is not the time. The "1" should look again in Q1. or Q2. 2013 and not before. 1 April would be a good date. First a spoof, followed by the new forums on 2 April.

But peeps, don't underestimate the work it takes to do this... and let's not make any one work through all these changes unless it really adds value to look, feel and function. That cannot be said yet of the alternatives.

BTW I drive classic cars. Thank you, I won't be respraying them with the latest fashion polka-dot go faster stripe iridescent hairspray colour. No I won't.

17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    were you here when the site links were in a tan box with blue writing in a column on the left side?

looked great at the time. remembering back it was fugly. Those were the days, when the server was probably held in w1zzards basement.

18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    how about an option to select a dark background

Solaris17 says thanks.
  19. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    for the forums like black/blue /black silver or a dark gray. that would be amazing. but i think the main issue is that it needs to fit the color scheme of the site, even if it isnt default.

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what im saying is give a few presets.

staring at a totally white background is harsh on the eyes

21. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i know what your saying. im saying that even if it isnt the default i think the issue we ran into before was that it needed to match the site color scheme. but that was along time ago.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ya True.

Course the TPU Logo on a Dark Background would make it stand out.

23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    From what I recall there had been a small attempt at redecorating our forums but it just didn't work out as what we currently have is working very well.

I personally wouldn't change the look of our forum.

The text is easy to read and the colours are easy on the eyes.

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Keep the Layout the same but have color options.

White backgrounds have always been a lil harsh on the eyes for me.

25. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    At night the forums are harsh on my eyes too.

eidairaman1 says thanks.