1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

W1zzard - Time For a TPU 'facelift' ??

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by FreedomEclipse, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I guess I am more tolerant of the white used here due to the excessive ffffff white used in some other forums.

Do see yor point thought, especially if you prefer having a your screen on the brighter side.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i run monitors at defaults most of time, white is the only one that hurts my eyes

3. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I hope we are not talking about dark colors like [H]ardForum, the color scheme throws me off and makes it hard to read sometimes.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what im saying is have 2-4 presets you can select for the forums.

maybe even a color spectrum so you can select the default color background and the text- aka to your liking.

Yes some Texts blend too much with dark backgrounds as much as Light texts with light backgrounds.

5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I think you can do it with Stylish (Firefox Plugin) but I agree that if it could be a forum feature it would be cool ;)

6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    you do all know that you are pissing in the wind. w1zzard isn't going to do shit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    He's not going to do shit if we don't give him something concrete as a proposition or something. We have to find someone who is willing to design this for him

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well, technically, were it that the redesign would happen but come out so bad that no one wants to use the site anymore. See, "pissing in the wind" infers some of the piss ends up on those doing the pissing...something bad results (as opposed to nothing at all).

I'll show myself out now.

9. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Thats part of your problem right there! Most monitors come out of the box WAY WAY WAY to bright and with a "Cold" temperature. So the Whites are rather bluish and very, VERY pronounced. I bet if you spent some time calibrating your monitor you'd reduce OR eliminate that problem :)

I don't see any white on my TPU pages, off whites/greys/pastels; yes. Straight white? No :eek:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I fully agree with M1dg3t, never do that dude. Monitors/TVs are always set very brightly because it looks so "impressive" in stores. It will both be more easy on the eye, and showing better and more natural colors if you turn down the contrast and brightness slightly (and if necessary adjust the colours).

Step 1: get this image in view at native resolution and at 100%.
    Step 2: lower the brightness as much as possible, but in such a way that the 5% rectangle (in the grayscale gradient bar) is still clearly visible against the black background of the test image.
    Step 3: Increase the contrast until you are at a point at which the "99%" rectangle is just visible in relation to the white background.
    Step 4 (optional): Adjust the gamma settings in the graphics driver cp in such a manner that the gray and coloured blocks in the middle don't seem to show those "stripes" at a viewing distance of ~2m (about 6.56 ft).
    Step 5 (optional, a must if you did step 4): Check whether the grayscale photo below shows any colour (there should not be any of course).

Random Murderer, n-ster and m1dg3t say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I came across this site a couple weeks ago, link at end of post, and find it to be quite helpfull. Especially if you have/take the time to play with the settings :toast:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yay my settings already comply with the 5 steps :)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I found that site too, but eidaraman seemed to like a "quick setup" much more then a "tweaking, tweaking, tweaking...". Plus, I know that the HWI test image worked well for me. Although it is a bummer that the english version of the HWI site does not seem to host (a translation of) the article which the test image belongs to (it very well explains why consumers need to calibrate their screens and why it differs per monitor how much it is necessary even within a range of displays of the same model).

m1dg3t says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    OR you can just turn on a light in the room. ;)

16. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    tpu is very spartan in its look and form, but i would like some eye-candy yes

17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
  18. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Actually yes, that color scheme immediately relieved my eye fatigue. Unfortunately dark is too much change for most people to tolerate. Kind of sad but that's just how ridiculous we humans are.

The big problem with this debate is always that we have no means with which to visualize these changes. I wish we could get like a dummy version of tpu that let us customize things with simple controls, colors, boarders sizing, etc... then we could all take a crack at it and pick the best one overall. Without that I think this will end how it always ends unless wiz just makes an executive decision and does it on his own.

19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    @TMM: there is plenty of light in my room.

@Solaris17: yeah but the bright blue could heve been a bit less bright, the grey of the text in posts a bit brighter.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    that would be fine too i was thinking along the same lines a tad brighter blue and gray a few shades arent hard to do at all. and it would still be easily readable in high light.

honestly we should look at things like whqat the age group is for enthusiest PC gamers is. and something that fits the character of TPU and do a major overhaul, from a business perspective we need something that caters more to the future users demographic while keeping it presentable for the old time members or older age group.

but we would need to go about getting some demographics

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  21. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Screw demographics! Run nekkid with scissors :rockout:

remixedcat says thanks.
  22. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    that nexus forum looks sexy... love that it would be cool if TPU had it

Solaris17 says thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i think so doesnt make my eyes feel like their bleeding in the middle of the night. Im a night shifter since job #1 brights just really bother me.

24. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    sometimes in the nexus forum, while switching I get a very quick full white screen, IT HURTS MY EYES, the bright blue is a tad bit irritating as well

25. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    I for one have always liked the "minimalist" look TPU has. Sure, its not flashy, but its reliable and has a kind of simple appeal. I also think to start off by saying "websiteX has just upgraded and now maybe we should" isn't the right way to look at it :)

I am always skeptical about change when it comes to websites like TPU. Communities can be fickle, and changes may cause more issues than good when so many people are involved.

That said, that Nexus forum looks pretty awesome with its dark theme. The screen still goes white when following links etc. though, which is worse when your eyes are used to the blackness.

Chevalr1c and Solaris17 say thanks.