1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

W1zzard - Time For a TPU 'facelift' ??

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by FreedomEclipse, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    thats just a nexus thing i think their forum uses some kind of overlay and the delay between page transitions causes the "white" background to show. its not something that happens on all forums.
  2. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:

I am not that retarded, I know how things work. But thanks :)

I was pointing out that the transition isn't as nice as it could be, so that if some one does something similar for TPU, they are aware of that particular issue.

:toast:
  3. shk021051 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about upgrade forum to vBulletin version 4?
  4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    nexus--->that's when there's a delay in loading the CSS....
  5. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    If i can put my 2bob on this topic please, the layout is great, easy to navigate and easily functional for most users need, the main thing i would change is the colour scheme basically [with no disrespect intended].
  6. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    What can you really expect out of a redesign. We are locked in to vBulletin framework and honestly the amount of customization you can do is pretty lame. Color change and buttons is about the only thing that would happen. Just take a look at some of these "premium" skins.

http://www.vbstyles.com/vbulletin-4x-skins-c1.html?gclid=CNPj-5vl1rICFWXhQgodQi0A5w

No matter what you are tied to the Framework and there is only so much you can customize without going into the realms of advanced js/css which is going to be supported differently by every browser out there. And it won't work on some of them. So lots of custom code. And in the end it is still supposed to be a tech forum.

All of the above adds up to a lot of time/money for something that is just fine the way it is.

I agree with everyone who said. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what im saying is have a TPU Standard which is the current interface for the forum then a TPU dark which only changes the white background to a dark back ground with a text that contrasts with the dark background, or allow custom text colors.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That blue fox might be even gentler than nexus.
  9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    yeah man that's the first thing I do when I get a panel...I start with some on-line recommendations then fine tune from there.CONTRAST always comes set to high for my application of use just for starts.
    Oh yeah but as for a face lift ..I say nah (no) I like it the way it is right now.
    I also see no whites in the forums.
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While the posts in this thread point out how the forums could be changed, I don't see any compelling reasons on why it should be changed.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    Frogger, STCNE, PHaS3 and 1 other person say thanks.
  11. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Change is good. But the good thing about the layout of this site is pleasing, easy and fast. I want to keep it that way.

my 2 cents.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Isn't traffic dropping off? Well done facelifts can help that.
  13. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Traffic is dropping off?
  14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: :slap:

Go on any other tech forum and I bet you TPU online/active users at any given time is dbl/tripple! If not more
    :peace: :pimp: :rockout:
  15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    TPU doesn't have THAT much traffic, I know a few sites that have much higher traffic.

I think the traffic that TPU has is a nice balance between not enough and too much. A little more def wouldn't hurt, but this is just fine
  16. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I'd be excited to have tpu with a new layout.
  17. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Who? Anandtech, and? Did I say we have the most traffic here? It is buisier then quite a few places. Whatever, it doesn't matter. We are here lol :toast:
  18. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i like tpu the way it is, its clean and easy to read and works great on mobile devices since i dont have to load 200 elements on a page.
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    a lot of the graidents on here that are images as well as buttons can be replaced with css and text. That would help a lot.
  20. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    the quality of stuff posted on this site (reviews, news, tutorials, quality of the stuff posted on the forum,...etc) is more important than how the site looks
    Urlyin says thanks.
  21. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    of course, but changing the looks of the site won't suddenly make W1zzard or cadaveca bad reviewers :p
  22. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Changing for the sake of change or keeping up with another site is silly. I mean really, just look at youtube and their constant updates that break more things than they fix. It's not like the site looks out of date or anything. It's just a simplistic style that stays out of the way.
  23. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I feel like rambling tonight, so here you go ....

A good website design has much in common with a good game design.
    It should incorporate a data-driven design philosophy. In other words, what do your users do?
    As data is collected on what your users do most, you can assess which areas should garner the most attention.
    Your most vocal people who ask for changes, may only constitute 5% of your user base, while the other 95% may be happily chugging along doing what they like.
    This does not imply that you don't want to change things, as keeping things fresh is always a good thing in the virtual realms by keeping people engaged and wanting to return.
    It does, however, mean that you should focus on the 95% as they are your bread and butter, not the 5% who are the most vocal. This shows up very clearly in usage metrics. It is better to lose the noisy 5% by not catering specificallly to them than it is to lose the silent 95% by ignoring what they do.

One shining example of this is Blizzard's WoW. They do a little to keep the vocal hardcore players happy, but will tear apart the entire game to keep the quiet, casual players coming back because that is the lion's share of thier income ... by a huge percentage. One of the other things that Blizzard understands is that most of the fun of a new experience is the exploration of what is new. That is what engages people. Simply updating content (better graphics) or tossing in a few new things here and there does not accomplish much of anything.

So how does that equate to TPU?
    I means that W1zz would have to look at the usage metrics of the site and see what the members do most.
    Focus on those things and give people a new experience (exploration) even if the functionality changes little as that is when people respond with "That's cool!!" even if it's not new, and will keep then engaged and enjoying the site.
    Moving functional elements is far more productive to creating a new experience than changing colors or "rounding corners".
    Adding simple functional elements which make things more efficient/effective (which W1zz has been doing all along) is always a win as one can see by the TPU members' responses when done.

What does this mean for W1zzard's bottom line?
    Change for the sake of change is worthless.
    Change for the sake of increased engagement and site enjoyment, even without a more visceral experience, could establish a higher involvement ratio (the time people spend on TPU vs. elsewhere), a higher retention ratio (how many people come back regularly), and a higher consumption (new users) as word spreads about the changes.

Okay, I had my say. You guys can go back to discussing color schemes.
    PHaS3, m1dg3t, Chevalr1c and 2 others say thanks.
  24. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Very well said, IMO.
  25. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Yes! Uncle kreij. Balance, all about balance ;)