1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] [Want to Borrow][UK] Socket 775 CPU

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by Ben Clarke, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yep. The motherboard I've been trying to get to work for 11 months is solved. The CPU I'm using. Supported by default BIOS. The revision of it. NOT supported by default BIOS. Because of this, I need an old 775 CPU to flash the BIOS to a more up to date one. After it's done, I'll send it back to you, perhaps with a little thankyou present. If you have one to spare, post the CPU model and revision up here, and I'll check if I can use it to flash.

The board is an ASUS P5K, if you can spare a CPU and want to check for me.
  2. kyle2020 Guest

Right, dont hold me to it but im 70% sure i have an old P4 style chip knocking about somewhere. If i find it, and i say if, ill be more than happy to send it you!
  3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    That would be a huge help (if you can tell me the model and revision it says, I'll check if it'll work)
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hey ben any P4 with a 200 or 800 FSB ( depending on how you look at it ) should work to boot and flash a bios. I just sold Sol a P4 that booted fine but the newer boards dont know what to do with them beyond that!
    Ben Clarke says thanks.
  5. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
    I dunno, you're not quite trustworthy enough for someone to lend you a chip bro...lol totally messing around :) bump for helping this guy out!
    Ben Clarke says thanks.
  6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Damn. Knew I should have gotten a Heatware :D

But yeah, still need a chip if anyone has one.
  7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Bump.
  8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Bump - now willing to buy it for £20+, if you can go that cheap - if not, borrwing is fine.
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Pentium D 805, but I'm in US. So if you wanna pay shipping via non-cc paypal, I'll let you borrow it (or make offer to buy). Not sure how much shipping is, but I'll find out if you're interested.
  10. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    That should work a treat. If you can find out how much shipping is, that would be great :)
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the delay, I went to do something else and then checked some other threads first. Anyways, I would need an address to find an accurate cost, but according to USPS, it should be ~$10 USD. I calculated for a 1-pound package; I assume it would be less than that.

edit: How long do you need to borrow it for anyways?
  12. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just in case you don't take up his offer, if you find a Computer Exchange near you (http://www.cex.co.uk/products/computing/processors/processors - intel/?mode=buy), you can get a really cheap processor from them. A mate needed to test out his board with a control CPU, bought a Celeron of some kind for £8. They have a 14-day no-quibble return policy too I believe, but you'll have to take some proof of address to get the CeX card.

lol, that sounded like a marketing thing, it's not, they just have really cheap old processors. Hell, the cheapest on that list is a £1.50 Celeron 1.7GHz for S478, if you have an old non-working S478 system knocking about, you can't go wrong.

And that sounded even more like a marketing ploy.

Anyhow, for anyone that doesn't think he's trustworthy, I made a trade with him; that G-Skill RAM he's using for a HDD. I ended up sending my RAM out first, and I can confirm I most definitely received that HDD from him.
    theJesus says thanks.
  13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    If I borrowed it, a few days. But since it's good shipping, I PM'ed you with an offer.
    theJesus says thanks.