1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Want to help with WCG need system for it first.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by joeyck, Feb 4, 2012.

1. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I just started peeping around TPU and stumbled upon the WCG section, and was wondering what hardware requirements are there for optimal crunching? I was looking for a i5 2500K but i read more cores / threads more work? (obviously) so should i just get a bulldozer CPU? does the GPU matter for crunching? as i think nvidia is what most if not all people used for folding does this apply to WCG?

Im not home all day when i am home my computer is on pretty much all time doing nothing and I plan on building a computer after my semester is over. so i thought why not help with WCG.

any advice as to what to get would be lovely! thank u :)

prices for either the i5 2500K or the 8120 FX are the same in the end in the shopping cart.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I think there is some way to crunch on GPU's, but not sure how well designed it is. As for CPU crunching, the more cores and more speed the better, so I do believe that a 8120 FX should be the better option. It's been a while since I've participated in crunching, so I'll let those more knowledgeable help.
  3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Well, we do love new faces in the team :toast:

What works best is either a lot of cores, or high frequencies. One thing that also matters is running costs. 2500K has a nice upgrade path in future with IvyBridge but more importantly has a nice production with very efficient running costs. So I'd recommend that over the AMD.

At the moment there is not GPU support for this project, but if you are interested in making the most of your graphics card then you can also join our F@H team. Quite a few members run CPU with WCG and F@H on GPU simultaneously.

Hope that helps with your decision making. Any problems just let us know.
    AlienIsGOD, joeyck and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  4. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    what kind of GPU do u need for F@H? I was going for CF 7950 but i will change to w/e i need to :) I just downloaded WCG onto my laptop not much I can do for now but I will try to help w/e way i can. And alright I'll stick with intel 2500K see if i can jump up to the 2600K if budget allows.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ditto. To give an example, an i5 @ 4.5ghz will be better than an i7 @ 1.6ghz.
    joeyck says thanks.
  6. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Historically NVIDIA gpu have had better results than AMD/ATI. There was a lot of work done on the newer client though, so AMD may well have caught up already. Don't want to give you misinformation though, perhaps check in with the F@H subforum to get the right answers to this one.

2600K is a phenomenal CPU for WCG at the moment, if you can make that jump do it. Take a look around for cheap deals, definitely worth it. But 2500K is no slouch either, can do about the same production as the old i7 9xx quads.
  7. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright both of u thanks a lot! for now i will only have my laptop but when my system is complete i will give all free time to F@H and WCG, but i also do a lil gaming here but time will be divided equally. Again thanks u 2!
    KieX says thanks.
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As stated above we do love new faces in the team, so first off welcome aboard. Now, to asnwer your question.

I would not get a Bulldozer for WCG, a 2500K/2600K system will kill it and run cool/energy efficient.

I have a 2600K crunching full time and I will tell you it's the best cruncher I've owned by far. Intel seems to always put out better #'s than AMD systems, but you can still do some serious crunching with AMD as well.

Here is a nifty little tool that you can play around with and it'll give you an idea.

http://flyingsuicide.net/wcg/index.php

Make sure to post in the WCG section and hang out there, always a fun time there. :toast:
    Black Panther and KieX say thanks.
  9. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks will do, also going to try and get my clan involved in this as they got some decent computers atm.
    Black Panther and KieX say thanks.
  10. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Awesome :rockout:
  11. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the support and the WCG thread fits made is very helpful!
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Awesome man, yeah FITS was our original captain till he passed the captaincy over to me. Really thank him for starting this. :toast:

I'll see you around man, I see you already got the Easy Config going and all, that really helps to stabilize your output and keep it consistent. Otherwise you have very unpredictable updates. :laugh:

Make sure to check out this thread: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106593
  13. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, no problem and yea I don't think I'm going to help a lot as I'm running on a laptop from freshmen year in high school now I'm a junior in college xD but oh well It'll do something!
  14. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I myself crunch on multiple machines with multiple cores. I have a couple single core crunchers and the muti core machine just own them at about 6 to 1.
    joeyck says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got my dual core on my laptop running, I got another computer sitting doing nothing just need to get some more Ethernet cabling and im good. Going to have my 2600K up and running at the end of my semester gonna try at least 4.5 HT on. my old IBM doesn't work any more would be running that to lol
  16. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I crunch on 5 machines right now including my laptop. I am going to be putting together another dual core cruncher soon.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    im going to ask my friends to donate their "shitty" computers.

For crunching it doesn't matter what computer is used is what i'm getting an idea of lol. Right now my laptop is doing just fine xD
  18. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    believe it or not, when you start racking up single cores here, dual cores there, single cores somewhere, etc. You end up with some nice #'s. :laugh:
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  19. [XC] Oj101

[XC] Oj101

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to see people using my tool :) If any of you can give me the points per day per MHz for Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge I'll happily include them in the tool.
  20. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    What exactly is it that you need? Just a PPD average?
  21. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    My HD 6870 does 3600PPD for about 9 hours of run time each day, so 24h avg would be around 10K. IDK if thats any good for AMD cards tho.
    KieX and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well this is going fairly well :) Had my laptop on all night long and I'm 98% finished on my 5 or 6th Application, I cant wait to build a better computer have both of em running :)
  24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I can atest to this as I have rack up about 17,500 points in a matter of a couple months when I was only running 2 single core systems and a dual core system. And I only crunch about 12 to 14 hours a day on them. I have just added my Phenom system and laptop to the mix. Also will be adding a s939 dual core to mix soon.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    We can't wait neither. :D

Yeah man, everything adds up dude.