• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Want to overclock my 2600K beyond 4.5GHz. Where to start?

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
Hi guys,

So I have a 2600K running at 4.5GHz with 1.320V (I'm using offset +0.065) and is dead stable. Recently I bought Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme cooler and was wondering if it will allow me to clock it to 4.6GHz or even 4.7GHz. 4.8GHz would be awesome. But I want to be realistic.

Right now, the room temp is a bit high (27C) because it is closing in on Summer and Prime95 (with AVX) reaches 75C on the hottest core after a while. This is with the fans at 1100RPM. Fans @ 2500RPM drops the temps by another 4C.

Here's general information
・I am currently using manual volts for everything, and lowest volts at that.
・The motherboard is ASRock Z68 Extreme4 with latest beta bios that enabled Ultra Fast Boot for Windows 8.
・I have every power saving feature turned ON.
・I want to use Offset mode. But I guess I can enable that after finding the correct VCore.
・I am using LLC level 4 (level 1 is highest and level 5 is lowest or OFF) because if I go higher, the CPU gets BSODs at idle. I guess it is a problem with the motherboard? Maybe the implementation is buggy.
・Spread spectrum disabled

Here are the other voltages
・I have 4 RAM sticks running at 1600MHz, 9/9/9/24/1T with just 1.35V.
・CPU PLL is set to lowest: 1.586V (PLL overvoltage OFF)
・Additional Turbo Voltage: +0.004
・Everything else at AUTO

With these settings, 4.6GHz isn't stable.

Sorry, I cannot provide the screenshots of the BIOS settings because I am not at home at the moment.
Ask away anything you want to know.

Where should I start? Please help. I don't want to do any unnecessary things. That's why I wanna here for you guys. smile.gif
・Increase the VCore?
・How long should I stress test before I move on to the next speed?
・Which stress testing app should I use? Prime95? IBT? AIDA64?