1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Want to replace my Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Golden, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Golden New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,

I suspect that my Windows 7 installed on my PC may not be genuine - I have taken steps to purchase a genuine version on Windows 7, and need some help to "convert" over.

I guess I need to somehow deactivate the current version of 7, and then reactivate with my genuine key. Does that sound correct, or is a different approach required? If so, can anyone offer me the best advice to do this?

Thanks.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well. As it stands if you have a higher version installed (like ultimate) you cant insert a home premium key. You would need to format. However if you buy a better or same version of what is installed. you can simply go to system in the control panel and click "change product key" then you just type the new one in hit ok click activate and your good.

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    If not genuine, it could contain spyware, hacks, rootkits... Some are known, some not...

So personally, instead of just entering the legit key, I would completly wipe the w7 partition (after saving your stuff)

4. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best bet is to reformat and install the new "Genuine" version. Non Genuine versions still contain "Hack" entries in the registry. If you did buy a new "Genuine" version it would also have to be the exact same version you have already installed for the key to work. Back up all your info you need and reformat and do a clean install.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what others are saying is correct, you never know what dodgy things may be in there - for all you know, putting in your legit key sends it straight to the guy who made the crack.

Back up your data, format, install new windows with legit key - from a legit source (non modified ISO, legit disk, etc)

6. Golden New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

Thanks for the most excellent and prompt feedback!

A crack that sends a legitimate key back to the "cracker" never even occured to me...its a good thing I decided to seek advice here first!

A format and reinstall it will be then. Just a quick question : I purchased my genuine Windows 7 Ultimate x64 from the Australian Microsoft website (I was able to download the 3 files and key, and the backup CD/DVD is on the way). Presumable I install from the CD/DVD once it arrives (I think its 15 days from purchase), and that the files I downloaded are simply for backup purposes only?

Thanks again for the prompt help.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the files you got, are likely so you can burn off your own DVD's if you want to.

8. Golden New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mussels. Once the DVD gets here, and I get my "house in order", I'll post back. Seems the very least I can do for the great advise.

Thanks again.

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    sweeper and DRDNA say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
  11. kristain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Upgrade from one version to another in Windows 7

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from one version to another in Windows 7. Use Windows Anytime Upgrade to convert from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional, Ultimate.