1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

want to upgrade my A9600XT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by freeserv, Dec 2, 2006.

1. freeserv New Member

Thanks Received:
    I run an ASUS P4P800 with 2.8 P4 and want to upgrade my ASUS built 9600XT...

I currently have Catalyst Control Center ver. 1.2.2390.38630 and NET Framework 2.0.50727.42 installed.

The CAT drivers for the current card is 6.7

I purchased a second-hand X800XT AIW card on eBay for the purpose and would like to know if a hardware upgrade requires a software upgrade to the current CAT drivers? Or can I simply restore default settings in control center, shut down, remove old card, install new card, start system and restore old control center settings?

I would also like to purchase the accessories for this card but have not been able to find anywhere in Oz that supplies these items.

I have also been unable to find out the power requirements for this (X800XT AIW) card.

My understanding is that it the same as the power supplied to HDD but it (the X800XT card) has the same kind of pin connector as FDD's use...?

Can I use a spare floppy power connector or do I need to use the MOLEX adapter that was supplied with the card?

Thanks for viewing this message and if you are able to provide me with any insight, I would be most grateful.

cheers,
    freeserv

2. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure you gotta un-install the old cat drivers, take out your card, put the new card in, and re-install drivers. Altho cat 6.7 should be fine for it, you wont need the latest ones.

The X800XT card uses a normal Molex power plug, not a floppy one. Like the ones used to plug fans into.

Whats your PSU? (how many watts, how many amps on the 12V rail?) and what are your full system specs?

Im running a similar rig to you on a 400W with 17A on the 12V rail (specs to the left)

Hope this helps :)

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    use a spare floppy power, thats what mine uses.

4. freeserv New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the speedy reply and your help. much appreciated

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    no problems :)

lol i never knew there was a diff b/w the power on the AIW and normal, ah well, learn something everyday :)

Yeah your PSU should b rite :)...my one can take up to a 4Ghz OC on the CPU and still run stable, and ive also run the X800 on a 200W w/ 12A on the 12V rail before, and even gamed, without a problem :p:)

6. freeserv New Member

Thanks Received:
    was hoping you would say that :)

7. freeserv New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pinchy... No Worries mate I'm no expert by any means and I'm keeping busy with scratching around for info so as I don't bugger my system up while trying to eek out a little more video grunt for my flight sims :confused: but I'm finding help from folks like you most valuable and I'm truely appreciative of you taking the time and making the effort to help :toast: so I tip my hat to you and although it's a bit late to throw down a schooner... I shall do so in your honor once I've got this new VC installed. Cheers, freeserv

8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im no expert either, ive got everything i know from experience and friendly people on this forum :)...

I just remember how appreciative i am whenever i get help, so whenever someone has a problem i know how to fix, im glad to help :)

Thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated! Have fun with your new VC ;)