1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

War games/FPS games.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by jpierce55, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Can anybody recommend a good war game or fps that is not too gory or full of strong language? (esp religiously related language). It is nearly impossible to find one.... well, this is for an almost 65 year old.

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I liked Ghost Recon games. That had a tactical feel to it and not all shoot this, run here, shoot that. You had to think and plan.

And then there is Splinter Cell, again tactical and stealth, but with FPS elements.

jpierce55 says thanks.
  3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Flashpoint dragon rising?

jpierce55 says thanks.
  4. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    He has the 1st Ghost Recon and likes it. I was thinking about getting the expansions for it.... I thought it would be nice to get him another game too!

I know the language/gore doesn't bother most people..... but seems like they could put a setting in the game to filter it out. I know some games do with the gore, but none with the language. It is a shame for people that don't like it (and honestly I don't like the language).

5. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    join dod:source server, mute all players. done.

Red_or_Dead says thanks.
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    if he liked ghost recon, gr:advanced warfighter 1&2 are absolutely awesome games.
    as for other shooters, of course they exist but keeping quality and content in mind i can't think of any better ones.

Company of Heroes is a great war strategy game. very polished, very mature (the way you want, not what mature has come to mean) you control units and not necessarily individual fighters, and it's not fps .

There is also a series called Europa Universalis, really in depth and again, mature. they are games that take time and patience. this also is stratey, though it's like a tabletop map moreso than an overhead camera like company heroes.

and you can't talk war games without mentioning the total war series. empire & napoleon are the newest western-oriented titles, but if he would like it i really really recommend Shogun Total War 2.

jpierce55 says thanks.
  7. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Might be worth also to take a look at Arma I or II, it is more mature than most FPS as it is built as a military simulator.

digibucc and jpierce55 say thanks.
  8. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    He likes to shoot things... not chop things ;). I remember when CoH came out, it looks like one he would truly enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am a fantasy rpg guy, so.... I bought him Call of Juarez once:twitch: well, the language wasn't clean on that one!

digibucc says thanks.
  9. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Battlefield 2. No swearing (by the AI), decent gameplay, fun vehicle system!

jpierce55 says thanks.
  10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    cannot believe i forgot that, +1

11. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    OPERATION FLASHPOINT Red Dragon }:)

jpierce55 says thanks.