1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Warning About Palit 8800gt

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by iamollie, Mar 31, 2008.

1. iamollie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to warn you guys, i got a palit 8800gt (not sonic) with their own heatsink and fan, and to cut costs they havent included a temperature sensor or a fan controller, then fan just runs 100% all the time. which i find very annoying.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The temperature sensor is probably there, it is just locked in the Video Card BIOS, and a lot of manufactures are switching to fans that just run at 100% constant. XFX is doing this too, for example.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    What program are you trying to use to control fan speed? If it is ATITool you may want to try Rivatuner instead since ATItool doesn't always work with nVidia cards.
  4. iamollie New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive used atitool and 99% ive tried rivatuner. my computer with the card is actually at university so i wont be able to try it untill saturday, as for it being locked in the bios i have heard that before but ive had a recent bad experience with flashing and stupid vista locking up and ruining a board so not really up for it especially since ive just ordered a accelero s1 and the little turbo fans today which should make it a whole lot quieter.

just wanted to warn others that its probably easier to go for another budget make if they care about noise
  5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to contact the Pailt rep that's been visiting tpu? He can probably help you with this issue. :)
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if I'm saying the same thing here, but if you flash the gpu bios you can get fan working differently.
  7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Contrary to popular belief, a fan that runs 100% all the time (or any constant speed) is less annoying than a fan that keeps changing its RPM all the time. With frequent changes in RPM, the user's attention is drawn to the difference in the noise levels and it sort of distracts the user more than the fan running at a constant speed.
  8. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you should RMA your card.
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Rivatuner to set fan speeds, it communicates with my temp sensor just fine and up's the speed in increments to 70% according to temps (so I assume the temp sensor is working) if you are having problems, either try Rivatuner and if that does not work, RMA as suggested.
  10. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get in contact with Palitguy. He's the North American Palit rep and has been hanging around TPU and been very helpful to folks.
  11. Palit_Guy

Palit_Guy Palit Representative

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the PM about this thread Duff!

For sure, RMA your card. If it's not showing temps and the fan is on 100% all the time there is obviously something wrong with it and we have no problem replacing it.
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not in the case of the 8800GT!!! :laugh:
    The 8800GT fan at 100% will pierce your ear-drums till you feel the left drum touching the right drum! It's not much different from the whirr of a hair-dryer...
  13. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    My previous Inno3D 8800gt was without the temp chip with 2pin fan wire. It was also missing the beeper and was most likely 4PCB layer one. (and buggy card as *ell). Stay away from those, although you can get an estimated temp with rivatuner plug-in.
  14. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same with my 2900XT's. Those things sound like leaf blowers on 100%. Completely unbearable.
  15. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    On a completely unrelated note; I just realised I don't even remember how annoying video card fans are since I've been watercooling all my chips ever since spring of 2005.
    :p
  16. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ma'am, it's a PALiT card here that uses the non-reference cooler it's quiter than the fans that come on reference design 8800 GT / GS and 9600 GT.