1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Was thinking of upgrading my computer...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by BlackAzrael, Sep 7, 2012.

1. BlackAzrael New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright so i was thinking of upgrading mainly my graphics card but maybe my RAM too.

The thing is my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P which is Socket 775 and only supports DDR2 memory up to 1033mhz (the specs says 1336mhz but it's limited support).

Here are the specs of my computer for more info:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5 800mhz
    CPU: Intel Quad 2 Core Q9550 2833mhz
    Graphics Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB

So i was looking for some advice on a new graphics card and maybe possibly more RAM if needed.

Thanks in advance!

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    What are the main uses of your PC right now?

3. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    don't bother upgrading the ram I would be looking at replacing the motherboard+CPU+ram anyway if you game
    DDR2 is expensive compared to ddr3 and your cpu is dated

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  4. BlackAzrael New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what i thought, i've looked at the DDR2 prices and they're just ridiculous.

And i don't think i'm ready to buy a new motherboard AND a cpu cause i consider the cpu i have is pretty decent.

So i guess that just leaves the graphics card.

As for what i use my pc for, it's mainly for gaming.

EDIT: I forgot about my PSU, it's a 620W Antec High Current Gamer.
    And just in case, here are the specs for the motherboard just in case, http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2919&dl=1#sp

5. BlackAzrael New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was also wondering if my motherboard was supporting SSD hard drives or it shouldn't matter?

6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The processor is still "okay" but DDR2 is becoming a bottleneck these days since DDR3 systems typically have twice the memory bandwidth. Any modern SATA based system supports SSDs but IMO I would just save up for a new platform.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Monitor resolution? Frankly, I don't see anything bad in your setup, unless you're running >1080p.

You have almost topped your 775 platform as far as memory and CPU power goes so really the best upgrade path would be a new rig. If you don't have the funds for that just OC your CPU. That DDR2-800 is a hindrance but not something to lose sleep over.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Robnof New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm inclined to agree. It will be more cost effective in the long run just to save up for a while and build a new rig.

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  10. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    Jetster says thanks.
  11. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    why dont you go sit down and come back when your needed.

Jetster and MT Alex say thanks.
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    why don't you uninstall
    you are suggesting he replace a quad core with a dual core ?
    makes a lot of sense for someone that games dafuq is the matter with you
    no sense changing over to SB if you are gonna trade the quad core for a SLOWER single core and a sloweron no less ...
    so in a sense he would be wasting close to 100 bucks

13. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thats a physical dual core SB machine and has no relation other then name to the celerons of old. performance charts peg it at a very capable chip outperforming X3 AMD machines and easily keeping up with quad core2 systems. not to mention the mobo is nothing to shake a stick at and would make a very acceptable stop gap when he decides to earn his money and buy a better chip? did you get your 2500k with dads credit card or did you work at the icecream stand? Do some research please, you are not ready for this ass wooping. Please grow up we can discuss this via PM i posted a viable upgrade plan and if sold right he will be able to afford the SB system with his current parts.

14. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    first of all sit your ass down scruby

second of all uh... no I don't know where you are getting your benchmarks but everything I have seen puts the sb-sloweron below the c2q
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g540-g440_6.html#sect0
    it barely edges out the pathetically slow AMD x2 and compared to the core i3 its a joke and not even worth the shelf space
    the point is if hes gonna spend the money do it once and do it right =/
    just because you can't afford decent hardware doesn't mean you should recommend junk to everybody else sheesh

15. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    your having fun trolling tonight arent you? The guy wants a way out and thats a cheap upgrade option. it gets him on the current gen and leaves him room to upgrade. Were do you get off telling me I cant afford components? what about any of your posts helps anyone? I mean we can play benchmark battle all day.

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel Celeron Processor G540/compare

But I suppose if you have a better idea that doesnt involve soaking up $700 EVERYONE would be more then happy to hear it.

16. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    My system is very similar to yours (see system specs) and I'm hitting 1920x1200 fine for general gaming (max textures, no AA since I like my jaggies). I'm quite satisfied with my current set-up. Is there anything about your system that made you want to consider an upgrade in the first place? Also, how much are you willing to spend?

Your video card isn't anemic, so I'd leave that alone for now unless you want to max some super-intensive game, go multi-monitor, or have a 1440p screen.

Your board can support up to 16GB, so that's an option. This is especially so if you have less than 8GB (you didn't tell us how much RAM you have).

SSD is also a good choice to help with loading times. In my opinion, it's the best choice since it'll likely remain the most useful when you decide to get a new system later.

17. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Play nice will you? Post about helping or move along. It's always easy to poke fun of others suggestions, especially when you don't ever make one. Let's try to be a bit more productive and a lot less petty.

18. Black Mesa New Member

Thanks Received:
    How much ram do you even have LOL 4GB is enough. As far as an upgrade from you're 6850 we need a budget man LOL.

19. BlackAzrael New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow, first of all, thanks for all the replies, really helpful! Sorry if i missed a few info hehe, i do have 4gb of RAM, i'm running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and i run in 1920x1080 resolution.

And to Solaris17, thanks for the suggestions. I do have a few concerns about them though. I have had some pretty bad experiences with Asus motherboards in the past and i'm not sure i am willing to try my luck once again. Honestly, i would rather go with Gigabyte since i've never had any problems related to their motherboards. But if anyone has some suggestions for motherboards i'm all ears. Second, i prefer Corsair memory even though they are more expensive, it always has been good to me.

Personally, when i do upgrade to a new rig i will probably try to get the best stuff at reasonable pricing of course. It's not really an emergency to upgrade, my computer is still running games pretty good although sometimes not at maximum (like Metro 2033 or Crysis 1&2 for example), i just felt like looking into upgrades. As someone else said, it'd be more cost effective to save up for the best new rig possible.

Finally, as for my budget for a new video card i would say between the 200$-300$ mark.

20. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to see if I could find a "Combo Deal" like how I built mine CPU/MoBo/RAM bundles. Not coming up with much.
    Something "like" this(not a great combo anyway)But if you can find bundles like that(minus the HDD for example) it's an easy way to get upgraded

21. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:

7870 then

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    IF here were going for a CPU i wouldn't go lower than a i3 2100/3200 series. good value for the money :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You can still live with that setup, maybe overclock the quad if you feel confortable and a new card will certainly help. Let's see, what games do you play? If you like Borderlands then B2 comes free with a GTX660Ti for $300. If you are willing to spend 20-30$ more and like Sleeping dogs and you like overclocking your card there's the HD7950. If you want to spend less next week there's gonna be the GTX660 at around $230 and there is also the HD7870 also with Sleeping Dogs)

24. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I love the GA-EP45-UD3P I use it in my HTPC as I retired it from my main gaming rig. However With a 5870, 6Gb of DDR2, and a Q9650 oc'd to 4.0Ghz it plays any game I throw at it on 1920x1080.

My advice is if you are planning on upgrading buy what your need most...a new video card. Then worry about Ram/CPU/MOBo later, since you can always transfer the video card to a new system..in the mean time since the CPU itself doesn't hold much value, overclock it.

That motherboard is very capable for Overclocking as is your CPU. The 6850 isn't a POS either and can oc fairly well. You really shouldn't be having many issues unless you are gaming above 1920x1080 with full eye candy.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  25. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    yeah, you don't need the latest and greatest to run current games, unless you have a 1440p or triple monitor setup. Still, if you're willing to switch platforms right away you could do so for about $350:

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA ...
    Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65...
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR...

That Core-i3 is very competitive compared to your Q9550. You could also shave a few bucks on the motherboard if you don't need Crossfire or SLI support (GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6... , GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA ...). 8GB kits cost just a fraction more of 4GB kits so I would shoot for 8GB right away.

But yeah, I'd say OC your CPU and GPU. Save for a new rig.

Crunching for Team TPU