1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooled Atom Case Mod

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Steff345, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of doing an Atom case mod just for kicks, where it would be water-cooled (I know this is overkill where this cpu could be cooled by directing a fan at it), but thats not the point of case modding is it? :D

The board/cpu I was looking at is the Intel D2500HN (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-d2500hn.html) - any of you have any idea about the mounting holes of the heatsink, since its pretty obvious that a bit of modding would have to be done to get a block to sit on top of it.

Any pics of the heatsink removed with mounting hole spacings would help if any of you have access to this board in particular.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Jizzler says thanks.
  2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep thats over kill, maybe you could make your own hsf (custom hsf) to cool that

3. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    yes indeed it is overkill since the Atom 2500 is rated to produce a max 10 TDP, but the purpose of my doing so (apart from just having a bit of fun) is that I already have a spare 240mm rad and a pump, which leaves only an el-cheapo block to be added :)

however, the issue in this case is that there is no readily available clock for atom (due to obvious reasons), which is what makes this project interesting as it is, IMO

any idea about the mounting hole dimensions, processor physical size, etc, as I'm finding a mixed bag of info over here

4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, if you're going to do this, might it make more sense to get one of the higher-end Atom boards? It probably wouldn't be much more, and then you could have PCIe or onboard WiFi.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    yeah either ways, I havent exactly decided dead-on on the one I posted - just a thought to get an idea about the mounting holes of the stock heatsink

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you buy Zotac boards there?

7. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately Zotac not available here - only the intel one is readily available (which is why i took this as a reference).

Im thinking about doing a good look around to see if others like Asus is available, which would give me a bit more options to play around with

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    umm if you are running this project better put it on project logs
    so every one could follow step by step of it :toast: